Chapter 4: After School

Wyatt
"Wyatt!" My mom yells from the front door.

"Hey, Mom I'm in the kitchen!" 

"Oh, there you are." She says as she sets her purse on the counter and pushes her bangs out of her face.

"How was school?" 

"It was good." I decided not to tell her about this morning just because I don't think she needs any more stress.

"Oh, Mom I fixed your car." She grabs a glass and fills it with water. "It was an easy fix." 

"What was wrong with it?"  I take a breath to tell her, but she holds her hand up, stopping me.

"You know what I don't even want to know because I won't understand."

"Mom, I put some leftover chicken in the oven"

She smiles. "Thank you. I'm going to go take a shower, a kid puked on me. It was this whole thing you don't want to know." 

On her way upstairs she stops and hugs me from behind. "Ewe Mom!" I try to squirm out of her hold.

"Wy, you're the best." She kisses me on the cheek and realizes me from her choke hold.

I'm finishing up my homework when the chicken finishes. I take it from the oven and sit down at the table with my plate.

As I'm waiting for it to cool I go on Instagram and search Katie's name. Surprisingly her account is easy to find. 

Her profile picture is her on a horse. Weird it's a different horse than she was on today.

Her brother was on the football team. I don't remember him.

I follow her. I hope she doesn't find that weird. I mean, I follow almost everyone from school so...

"Wy, you didn't wait for me?" I look up from my phone to see my mom place some chicken on her plate.

I put my phone down. "I am! See I haven't started eating yet."

She shakes her head. "Whatever you say. "

Katie
"Izzy, what are you doing?" I ask, currently on FaceTime with Izzy.

"I'm trying to paint my toes, but I can't reach my pinky toe."

I snicker. "Well, Iz you look like you're trying to birth a child." 

She starts laughing and yells, "Katie, you messed me up!" 

"It's not my fault you laughed!" 

She sighs.

"How can you tell anyway, we're on FaceTime."

"What are you doing?" Izzy asks

"Finishing an essay that's not due for another two weeks,"  I reply smugly.

She looks at me through the screen all serious.
"I don't know why you do this to yourself." 

I give her a blank look and respond, "Because."

I know it kills her when I do that. She rolls her eyes and goes back to painting her toes.

"When I asked that question, I should have known that was going to be your answer."

I give her a, 'like duh' look. "Yeah, you should have. You've known me long enough."

Me and Izzy have been friends since we were six, we meet at a riding camp. I spilled water all over myself and Izzy helped clean me up. I still remember exactly what she said to me. "Hi, I'm Izzy your new best friend!" And ever since we've been inseparable.

"I can't believe Wyatt almost hit you today," Izzy says.

"I can," I snap.

Izzy rolls her eyes. "Katie, just because he's popular doesn't mean he's a bad person."

I give Izzy a 'like seriously' look. "They're all the same. He hangs out with Stacy and her little demons. They think just because they're popular they own everything."

Izzy's eyes soften. "Yeah, I guess. They haven't been very nice to you over the years."

"They haven't been nice to you either. They're a bunch of stuck-up snobs."

"If you think about it, Wyatt has never said anything mean to anyone it's just Stacy. Maybe he's not as bad. He did help you out today in English." Izzy says grinning.

I shake my head. "We didn't have a meet-cute so don't get yourself all worked up."

Izzy sighs dramatically. "Fine, but he is dreamy isn't he."

I give her a knowing look. "You have a boyfriend."

"Yeah, unfortunately," Izzy mumbles, and I laugh.

"Oh my gosh!" I yell and I see Izzy sit up through the phone.

"What Katie?" She yells.

"Wyatt Kent just followed me on Instagram! Do I follow him back?"

She lays back down. "Come on Katie, I thought something was wrong! And yes, follow him back, weirdo."

"Okay."

This day just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I can't wait for this day to be over and hopefully, tomorrow will be normal.

Little does she know her life is about to change.