Chapter 58: You wear longuewear well

Katie
I wake up with a huge smile. Yesterday was by far the best day of my entire life.

The smell of waffles drifts into my room while I'm scrolling through the pictures I took yesterday.

My stomach growls for the fourth time in three minutes so I finally roll out of bed.

"What has you so smiley?" Derek asks mixing waffle batter. Ava is working the waffle iron and Izzy is sitting on Tyler's lap.

"I don't know. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Wyatt kissed me last night," I say taking a plate out of the cabinet.

"Ah!" Ava and Izzy scream in unison.

I laugh and take in the boy's expressions.

Derek looks violently ill and Tyler looks... well normal.

Weird.

Izzy jumps out of Tyler's lap and leaps onto a bar stool to be closer to me. "We need every detail."

"No, we don't," Derek snaps.

I pat his shoulder. "Don't worry I'm not going to say anything."

"What, no. Come on Derek quit being a big ass baby," Ava says frustrated.

Derek turns around. "I don't want to hear about how my little sister kissed a boy. Thank you very much."

Ava sticks her tongue out at Derek.

"So, did he confess his undying love to you?" Tyler asks.

"Uh no, we just kissed," I say.

"Oh."

Ava takes out a waffle and Derek pours more batter into the waffle iron. "Are you going to tell him how you feel?" Ava asks.

I take a deep breath. "Yeah, I am."

"Tonight we're going to a party at Stacy's and I'm going to tell him there."

Tyler takes a giant bite out of his waffle. "You should wait for Wyatt to tell you his feelings."

Ava, Izzy, and I shoot Tyler a nasty glare. "And why should she do that?" Ava asks coldly.

Tyler rolls his eyes and swallows a bite of a waffle. "I have nothing against a girl making the first move, but I know Wyatt. I'm sure he has this elaborate plan about telling you how he feels."

Tyler shoves another forkful into his mouth. "Let him get nervous and grow a pair."

I sigh. "What if he doesn't feel the same way."

Everyone looks at me like I just said Elvis was cloned by aliens. "Gracie, I'm going to give you some brotherly wisdom."

Derek points the whisk at me. "Guys like Wyatt don't go around kissing girls they don't like."

"Yeah, Katie, I've seen Wyatt around you, he definitely likes you," Ava adds.

"I'll wait, but if the night is up and he still hasn't told me, I'm going to do it," I say sitting across for Tyler.

Something is different about Tyler.

I stare at his head to figure out what is different.

"Gosh Ty, what did you do to your hair?" I say laughing.

Tyler sighs. "I'm trying something new, alright."

Izzy sits back down on his lap. "Sweetheart, I don't think this is your look."

It definitely isn't.

"Yeah, you look like you're wearing a toupee," Ava says nonchalantly, causing us all to laugh.