Chapter 31: Baby, thats three words

Wyatt
I'm sitting on the bench waiting for football practice to start while trying to figure out where to take Katie tonight.

Knowing this will be her first date just added more pressure. I want it to be perfect.

I click on Snapchat and see a memory pop up. It was a video of me, my mom, and my dad feeding ducks at a pond by our house.

That's when I come up with the greatest date ever.

After practice, I head to our lockers to meet Katie.

As I turn the corner I see her and Tyler talking, and for once they are both frowning.

Not once, since I've known Tyler have I seen him look so serious. Katie and Tyler together were never serious, ever.

"It's weird seeing them look so serious isn't it?" I look down and see Izzy standing beside me.

"Yeah, I didn't know Tyler could be serious."

Izzy giggles. "One thing you'll learn about him is he puts family first before anything."

I look at Izzy confused.

"Tyler loves to make people laugh, but if Katie called him at two o'clock in the morning saying her a car broke down he would be there in a minute."

"Does their relationship ever bother you, because I know they're pretty close?" I ask.

Izzy scoffs. "Please. Katie is like Tyler's little sister. Katie loves Tyler, but hell would have to freeze over for anything to happen."

I laugh.

"Growing up, whenever we would do anything I would always pair up with Derek, and Katie would be with Tyler," Izzy says shrugging her shoulders.

"Is that why he calls her Kat?" I ask Izzy.

"Nope, that's a story that should be told by anyone but me," Izzy replies over her shoulder as she walks towards Tyler and Katie.

I walk over to Katie and she shuts her locker.
"Hey baby," I say making my voice deeper than usual.

Katie rolls her eyes. "Hi, Just Wyatt."

We follow Izzy to her locker.

Tyler looks at me grinning and I narrow my eyes daring him to open his mouth.

"Kat, Wyatt's legs are so sore from riding yesterday, that we had to run extra laps because he was going too slow." Tyler blurts out.

I sigh and Katie looks up at me. "Awe sweetie."

Recently I've noticed Katie has taken to calling me sweetie. I kind of liked it.

That's probably not great.

Katie wraps her arms around my waist and rests her cheek on my chest.

"What, they're really sore?" I say embarrassed, on the inside, I was freaking out that she is hugging me voluntarily.

She looks up and grins the same grin that tells me she's about to make a joke. "Do you think you'll make it?"

"Do Izzy and I have to carry you from class to class?"

I feel myself smile. "I think I'll be okay, but if I need help I'll text you."

"Okay, but don't push yourself too hard," Katie says and pats my chest.

The bell rings and Katie's face changes.

"I have to get to class!" Katie takes off jogging down the hall.