Chapter 40: Only the cool friends

Wyatt
"It's your turn missy," I yell to Katie. She frowns and walks over to me and Sammy.

I help Katie take Sammy's tack off and she jumps on. I stare at her and she smirks down at me. "What?"

"Didn't think I could jump on, Kent?"

I shake my head. She just jumped on Sammy from the ground and Sammy is taller than me. Katie said he's 16 hands tall, whatever that means.

Izzy flicks the whip and Sammy starts trotting in a circle around her.

Watching Katie is mesmerizing. It's like she is glued to the horse, I didn't see her slip once.

"Ready?" Izzy yells and Katie nods her head.

"Canter," Izzy tells Sammy and he hops into a gentle lope. Katie holds her arms out to the side.

After four laps Sammy slows down to a walk.
I start clapping and I see Katie's cheeks turn pink. "Well done Kate. That was amazing!"

Izzy unhooks the lunge line from Sammy's bridle and unties the reins.

"How did you do that?" I ask.

Katie smiles. "Izzy and I used to do all kinds of stupid stuff bareback. our legs get stronger over time."

"Remember that time we took our horses up the mountain bareback," Izzy says giggling.

"I couldn't walk for a week," Katie says grinning.

"Wyatt, get on behind Katie and I'll take some pictures," Izzy says as she gets her phone out of her pocket.

Katie shakes her head but I grin. "Sure."

I get on Sammy and wrap my arms around Katie to keep from slipping off.

Izzy takes about a hundred pictures and then we go back to the barn.

As we're riding back I see Jacob leading his horse to the arena. He waves and I wrap my arms tighter, pulling Katie closer to me. I glance over at him and see his eyes harden a fraction.

Izzy is looking at me with an unreadable expression.

Is it so bad that I won't this guy to stay away from Katie?

"Unfortunately kids I have a horse to ride still. See y'all later. Izzy yells as she walks out of the barn.

I help Katie put Sammy away and check Ripley's food and water.

When we get to her truck I jog to the driver's door and hop in. "I guess you're driving home?" Katie says dryly.

"Yep." I flash my signature smile.

"What are you doing when you get home?" I ask.

"I have a few chapters of a book to read for homework but besides that, nothing."

"Would you like to study at my house?" I ask like it's no big deal, but inside I'm freaking out.

"Yeah, I would love to, but I have to change clothes first," Katie says smiling.

Awe, she's changing clothes. I like the pants she's wearing now. I might like them too much.

I park her truck in her driveway. "I'll wait for you while you change," I tell Katie.

Katie gives me a weird look and hops out of the truck.

Katie
"Hey Gracie what's up?" Derek yells as soon as I walk in the door.

"I'm going to Wyatt's," I shout from the steps.

I hear him say something but I ignore him and go into my room.