Chapter 36: The Grand Slam Meal

Wyatt
"Katie, are you riding with Wyatt?" Izzy asks.

"Yeah," Katie responds.

Izzy walks over to me wearing a concerned look. "Can I talk to you about something real quick?"

I feel my brow scrunch. "Yeah?"

Katie waves and walks to my car. "I'll be at the car."

"What's up?"

Izzy takes a deep breath. "How well could you see Katie and her family from the football field?"

"Pretty well, why?" Where is she going with this?

"Did Mike and Clair seem overly friendly to you?"

I feel my eyes widen. "Yes! I thought I was the only one who noticed."

"Are they always like that?"

Izzy shakes her head. "No, not until recently. I've known them both for a while, and they have never acted like that."

I raise my eyebrows. "You think something's going on between them?"

"I don't know?"

"Maybe, I'm not sure," Izzy adds quietly.

"Are you going to say anything to Tyler?"

Izzy eyes widen. "Lord no! I don't think they suspect anything."

I nod my head. "Okay."

We walk back to the cars. I hop into my Jeep and Izzy rides with Tyler.

The whole ride to Waffle House Katie and I talk back and forth about the game.

Katie
We're the last ones to pull into the Waffle House parking lot. Once Wyatt parks the car he turns it off and leaps out the door.

Knowing what's he about to do I grab my phone and open my door. Wyatt is standing in front of me frowning, so I can't get out of the Jeep.

"Why Kate, why?"

I smirk. "I have hands, I can open my own door."

Wyatt rolls his eyes. "So, let me be a gentleman for once." I push him out of the way and hop down.

"Nope, I'm an independent woman."

Wyatt laughs and mumbles. "No, you're stubborn as a mule."

The wind blows frigid air around us. I wrap my arms around me to block off said air. I should have bought a coat.

"Kate, do you need a coat?" I shake my head.

Wyatt rolls his eyes and opens his trunk.

"No seriously, I'm good," I say quickly.

"Sure you are," Wyatt says sarcastically.

Wyatt pulls out a black hoodie that looks like it was bleached dyed. "Here wear this."

I see that back and it has, 'Vans' written across it. I've seen him wear it a lot at school over the years.

"Wyatt, no, I-" Wyatt stops me by pulling the hoodie over my shoulders.

I sigh and I hear him chuckling. "Let me help you put your arms through, baby."

I pull my head through and glare at him which causes him to laugh harder.

I hold my arms out. "You're not going to be embarrassed to be seen with me?"

"This hoodie is huge on me!" The sleeves hang off my arms and the bottom almost covers my skirt.