Chapter 12: Your Stacy impression is spot on

This pic was another one of my cover options. It was so hard picking one! All the pics I posted throughout the book were cover options! Let me know if y'all like the one I finally picked!

Katie
I couldn't focus at all in my last class, thank god it's just history. All I could think about was how much fun I had at lunch.

It was like the four of us had been friends for years. I never thought I would say this but Wyatt Kent is not the worst person to be around.

Once class is out I walk to my locker to put my books away.

I'm making my way to Wyatt's car when Stacy and her faithful followers swarm me. Honestly, I could smell them before they walked up to me.

"Well, it looks like Horsey girl has got herself a little boyfriend." I'm so not in the mood for her crap, but when am I ever?

"Funny thing is, I didn't know Wyatt does charity work. He must feel sorry for you."

Wow, I bet it took her all day to come up with that one.

I don't want to fight with her so I decide to walk away. Stacy grabs my hand and tries to turn me around.

"Sorry honey, I'm not done talking. Did your parents not teach you manners?" Okay. She's really pissing me off.

"Oh, what are you going to do? Hold my hand to keep me from walking away."

"I would let go of my hand if I were you. You might break one of your acrylics." I say as sarcastically as I can.

"You can't get away from me. You think you're so tuff. We both know who holds more ground here." Stacy says with her voice full of venom.

That is it. I jerk my hand from her grasp and push her up against the wall. I get as close as I can to her face. "Stacy, you don't scare me, you never have and you never will. I would think twice before touching me again."

I turn around and walk away.

Stacy scoffs. "Please, Katie?" But her voice trembles slightly giving away that she isn't as confident as she seems

I turn and walk backward. "Stacy, what are you going to do to me? Hit me with your makeup brush?"

I put my hand on my forehead. "Oh wait you might break a nail." I hear some of her friends snicker.

When I get to the parking lot I look for my truck till I see Wyatt and I remember I rode with him.

Crap. I don't want to see him. Stacy's comment brought all my insecurities to light.

I don't have feelings for Wyatt, but I've always struggled with feeling like I'm good enough.

Maybe Stacy is right. Maybe Wyatt does feel sorry for me.

"Well, well, well, look who's late this time," Wyatt teases.

Ignoring him, I open the door to his car and climb in. I glance at Wyatt as I'm buckling my seatbelt and he looks concerned.

He places his hand on my arm and asks softly, "Hey Kate, what's wrong?"

The look in his eyes made me want to tell him everything. I know if I did I wouldn't be able to control what I said.

So, I shove all my feelings down like I always do.

If Wyatt knew what is really bothering me he would think I'm pathetic and would feel sorry for me. It's just easier to hide my emotions and go on and not burden others with my pain.

"Nothing, just dealing with Stacy." I give him a forced smile. He takes his hand off my arm and starts the car.

"I'm sorry I should have waited for you inside she seemed like she was in an, 'I'm going to bully anyone that's in my way mood' just because my fake eyelashes aren't staying glued!"

"No, don't be," I say in between laughs.

"I have to say your Stacy impression is spot on."
I say once I calm down.

Then we both start laughing.

It's sweet that he's trying to cheer me up.

Wyatt
I could tell something was off when Katie walked up to my car. I tried to make a funny comment and... nothing not even an eye roll. (She rolls her eyes at EVERYTHING)

If something is bothering her I want to know, but I also didn't want to overstep. Curse you, shyness.

When I see her face I don't care anymore. I've never seen her look like that before.

"Hey, Kate what's wrong?" For a second I thought she was going to tell me, she even looked like she was going to start crying. I don't do well with crying women.

Then her eyes change and I can tell she put all her walls back up. She's not going to tell me.

I wish I could get her to trust me.

We talk a little on the way home, but it's awkward. Katie seemed like something was bothering her, but she would try to play it off.

"Thanks for the ride, Kent," Katie says.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

She smiles but it looks forced. "I'll see you then." She shuts the door and I wait till she's inside to leave.

I wish she trusted me enough to tell me what was bothering her.