Chapter 16: In a permanent chair

Wyatt
Once I get to Katie's house I see Tyler's car in the driveway. I figured he'd come.

I look at the time and realize I'm fifteen minutes early. "Well, I guess it can't hurt to be early."

I get out of my car and lock the door. When I get to their front door I take a deep breath and ring the doorbell.

Katie opens the door and my jaw falls to the floor.

She looks amazing. She has her hair slightly curled and is wearing a blue shirt that made her look even tanner.

I'm starting to wonder how I never noticed her before now.

Oh boy, I am in trouble.

Katie
When I open the door I see Wyatt standing in an olive green button-down shirt that made the little bit of green in his eye pop. It also made the muscles in his arms stand out more than normal.

He really looked good. Too good.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "Hi, you're early!"

His cheeks turn a light shade of pink which makes me smile. "I'm sorry, I hope it's okay?"

I wave my hand in the air. "Oh, it doesn't matter. Come in."

Yeah, nothing is more attractive than a teenage girl who acts like a grandma talking to her grandkids. Great job Katie.

He follows me inside and I close the door behind him. He hands me the bouquet he was holding. "I got you these."

Their daylilies, my favorite. I feel myself blush slightly. "Awe Wyatt, you didn't have to get me these!"

"They're beautiful, how did you know these are my favorite?"

He smiles and I feel a flock of butterflies irrupt in my stomach. "I just had a hunch."

Since when did guys give me butterflies? Lord, I need to get a grip.

Wyatt follows me into the kitchen. "My dads still getting ready so I'll give you a tour of the house." I take a vase out of the cabinet and fill it up with water for the flowers.

I hear Tyler come up behind Wyatt with Derek close behind. "Hey man, long time no see," Tyler says chuckling.

Derek pushes Tyler out of the way with his wheelchair and I hear Tyler mumble a few curse words about his toes being smashed.

Derek looks Wyatt up and down. "So you're Wyatt?"

"You're taller than I remember." Wyatt looks at the ground and chuckles, pink slowly spreading across his cheeks.

A few days ago I would have let Derek embarrass Wyatt, but today something changed in me.

"Derek stop. Be nice and don't act like an old man that never gets out of the house," I snap, but Derek glares at me.

Tyler being Tyler tries to change the subject. "Wy, you got her daylilies her favorite type of flowers, good move." Did I mention Tyler is not the best with words?

I grab Wyatt's hand and push Tyler out of the way. "Okay, both of you move, I'm going to give Wyatt a tour of the house." I pull him into the living room.

"This is the living room where we watch movies, tv shows, and even the news." I gesture around with my hand as I explain.

I walk over to two reclining chairs. "This is where Derek and my dad watch football games. Now Ty sits here because Derek is in a permanent chair at the moment."

"Haha very funny, go ahead and make fun of your crippled brother," Derek shouts from the kitchen.

I walk towards the steps that lead upstairs. "Over here are the steps that lead upstairs and right there is the door to the basement."