Chapter 35: A good excuse to kiss her

Wyatt
I'm currently staring at Katie's text on my phone. Her family is coming to watch the game.

I feel the color drain from my face and my legs start shaking.

I don't even notice Ryan sit down beside me till he touches my shoulder.

"You okay man?"

I nod. "Yeah, I'm great."

Ryan frowns and I remember what Katie told me.

"Actually, Katie texted me saying her family's coming." Ryan nods his head in understanding.

"Wyatt, Katie's a great girl; you deserve her, so don't push her away. Enjoy yourself."

I smile slightly. "You're right."

"Duh," Ryan says and sticks his tongue out.

I walk out of the locker room in search of Katie, but all I see is Tyler talking with Katie's dad and a woman who I'm assuming is his mom.

I suddenly hear, "boo!" I jump, and Katie snickers.

When I turn around, all aggravation leaves my face and my jaws hit the floor.

Katie looks stunning, she is wearing my jersey, and a white skirt, paired with sandals. She even number painted the number seventeen on her cheeks.

"Just Wyatt, if you keep your mouth open like that you're going to swallow a fly."

I close my mouth and scratch the back of my neck. "You look... wow. I mean hot. No wait-"
I stumble out till Katie interrupts me.

"Never in my life did I think I would make Wyatt Kent stumble over his words."

I sigh and pull Katie to my chest. My arms wrap around her, and rest my chin on her head.

"You look amazing," I say against the top of her head.

"You don't look too bad yourself," Katie says.

I smirk and pull away from her slightly. "So, you find all this football gear hot."

Now it was my turn to embarrass her, but she just grins.

"Yeah, I do." She says with complete seriousness and pulls me toward her family.

Huh. Normally she rolls her eyes when I joke like that. What changed?

"Hey Wyatt, how are you doing?" Mike asks me while shaking my hand.

"I'm doing pretty good."

The woman Tyler was talking to pushes Mike out of the way.

"So, you must be Wyatt who I've heard so much about."

I chuckle nervously. I guess Katie could tell Im nervous because she wraps her arm around my waist, snuggling into my side.

"I'm Clair."

"And Tyler's mom, but she seems to forget that," Tyler yells from behind her.

"I do not, and you know I love you," Clair says pinching Tyler's cheeks.

Izzy laughs.

We all talk for a few minutes till the coach blows his whistle telling us it's time to warm up.