Chapter 8: Any More Demands

Wyatt
I thought about what happened in the lunchroom throughout the rest of the school day.

I wonder if Katie changed her mind or if she's going to yell at me again.

I'm surprised to see Katie sitting on her truck bed waiting for me after I walked out of school.

She must have moved her truck because it's now parked beside my Jeep.

"Well, did you have a change of heart, darling?"

Katie scoffs and rolls her eyes. "I don't know if I would call it a change of heart, it's more of a proposal ."

I sit down beside her in her truck. "You know school let out thirty minutes ago," Katie says.

"Wait really!" I look at my phone. Yep. It's been thirty minutes, I really need to stop talking to every person that walks up to me.

"Sorry, I kept you waiting." I smile at her flirtatiously.

She narrows her eyes at my attempt at flirting. "I don't mind waiting, I know you had to talk to your adoring fans."

Weird. My smile works on most girls.

I smile at her joke. "So, what do you propose we do, sweetie?"

She rolls her eyes. "I'll date you but you have to be my partner for an endurance ride in four weeks."

What in the world is she talking about?

"I have one question."

Deep breath, Wyatt, do not laugh. "What the hell is an endurance ride?"

A small smile dances on her lips. "It's basically a timed trail ride." 

I nod my head. "I've never sat on a horse in my entire life so..."

"Just Wyatt, that's why I'm going to teach you. I'll give you one or two lessons a week."

I'm about to respond when she interrupts me.
"If we win we each get one thousand dollars."

One thousand dollars, who could say no to that? Anyway, how hard could it be?

I look her in the eyes. "I'll do it."

She smiles and looks at her feet. "One more thing. I want you to take me to my dad's work Galla/Hoedown. The head of the riding team of the college I'm trying to get into will be there.  I would like to talk to her but I can't go unless I have a date."

I turn my head to the side. "Why do you have to have a date?"

She gives me a deadpan look. "Because it's a couples dance, you have to bring a plus one."

I look up at the sky. "Oh, I understand."

"We're does your dad work again?"

She smiles slightly. "He's an English professor at the community college."

Oh yeah, I remember seeing Katie at the college with her dad when my mom and I went to check out some of the classes there.

"Alright, I'll do it. Do you have any more demands?"

Katie smiles. "No. Well, I do have a question. How will this work?"

Katie
"Have you ever seen the movie To All the Boys I've Loved Before?" Wyatt asks.

I have no idea where he's going with this so I decide to mess with him.

I pretend that I'm deep in thought. "Um, I don't think so."

He makes an annoyed face. "Seriously, every girl I know has watched them. Lara Jean's sister sends out her love letters then she pretends to date Peter."