Chapter 11: Ahh, ok

Wyatt
This morning I was a little nervous to pick up Katie. I know shocking, the popular guy is nervous to pick up a girl.

I can be shy sometimes, especially around people I don't know. But today, when I picked Katie up something was different than with anyone else.

Katie is so easy to talk to, it's like talking to someone I've known my whole life. It's been a while since I felt like I could tell a person something and they would listen and understand. Today I felt that way with Katie, it was so easy.

"Mr. Kent eyes up here, please. You can talk to Miss Fleming after class." The whole class laughs.

My eyes immediately snap back toward the front of the room.

I sneak a look at Katie and see her ears are bright red. I laugh to myself.

I've been staring at Katie almost all class and I guess Mrs. Smith finally noticed.

Once I heard the bell ring signaling that class is over I jumped up as fast as I can so I won't miss Katie.

Of course, some girl comes up to talk to me.

When I finally break free from the girl and walk into the hall someone grabs my hand.
I know who it is before I even look at her.

Katie.

The tingles gave it away.

"You didn't have to wait for me."

"Well, Kent you did say we had to walk the halls together." She adds her famous eyebrow raised at the end of her sentence.

"Kent? I thought you called me Just Wyatt?" Not going to lie, I kind of liked the name Just Wyatt better than Kent. Kent is the name my football buddies call me.

"Well, since you call me Kate, I figured I need a better nickname than Just Wyatt."

"Ah okay," I say trying to sound serious.

When we get to our lockers I see Ryan coming and not too far off Stacy and her gang.

"Hey, man."

"Hey," Ryan and I do a half-hand, shake-half hug.

Ryan looks at Katie. "Well, you must be little Katie."

Stacy tries to say something to me. I pretend I don't hear her and put my arm around Katie's waist.

Ryan looks at me and Katie. "Not to be rude or anything, but I was shocked yesterday when I heard that y'all are dating. I never thought Wyatt would ever get a girlfriend."

I feel Katie laugh beside me. "Yeah, it shocked me too. But now I wouldn't want to spend time with anyone else."

She's good at this whole pretending. Everyone but Stacy is literally making puppy dog eyes.

Ryan puts his hand around Katie. "Wy, this one right here is a keeper. There's something different about you Katie."

I see Stacy roll her eyes and walk away.
"Ryan, can I have my girlfriend back we have to get to class?"

Ryan smiles his teasing smile. "I'll see you later little Katie."

I walk Katie to her next class. "You did well with Ryan back there. I think he likes you."

Katie smiles. "Well, he was really sweet."

We get to her class door. Katie starts to walk in then turns around. "I'll see you at lunch, Just Wyatt."

I notice a few guys stare at us as they walk by. Today I realized how many people (by people I mean guys) watch Katie.

If looks could kill I would have died four times by now.

I didn't pay attention in my next two classes because all I could think about was seeing Katie. I almost texted her but I didn't want to bother her.

When the bell finally rings I jump up from my seat and walk as fast as I can to my locker.

I don't see her anywhere so she must already be in the lunchroom.

When I walk into the lunchroom I look around. I almost don't see her till I hear her laugh.

Katie's sitting by the exit door with her friend talking. She's so engaged in her conversation that she doesn't notice me walk up till I touch her shoulder.

"Hey Katie, mind if I join?" Katie stares at me with her mouth slightly open almost as if she's surprised.

Izzy responds for her, "Sure you can, Wyatt." Katie glances at Izzy with narrowed eyes.

"Wyatt, you don't have to sit with us, I'm sure you would want to sit with your friends," Katie says still glaring at Izzy.

Before I can respond Tyler walks over. "Hold up!"

"If he doesn't have to sit with y'all I'm not."

Tyler sits down beside Izzy and she shakes her head. "Say what you want, but we both know you have no one else to sit with."

Tyler folds his arms across his chest. "So not true!"

While Izzy and Tyler argue I sit down beside Katie. "I don't mind sitting with you."

"Besides you are my girlfriend," I add with a flirty smile.

Katie scoffs but doesn't roll her eyes at me saying girlfriend, so maybe we're improving.

"What are you eating?" I ask Katie once Tyler stops bickering with Izzy.

"Leftover chicken and dumplings."

"I love those my mom used to make them all the time."

Izzy changes the subject, "So, Katie, when is Wyatt having his first riding lesson?"

I'm glad she asked because I was wondering the same thing.

"Um... I was thinking Saturday if you're free Wyatt." Katie turns her head to look at me.
She looks a little nervous.

I will never get tired of looking into her eyes.

"Saturday sounds great." I'm a little nervous to ride a horse, but knowing I'll be spending the day with Katie I'm kind of excited.

What? She's fun to be around AS A FRIEND!

Tyler takes one of Katie's cookies and they start arguing with each other when the bell rings.

After we throw our trash away Katie turns to Izzy. "I'll see you at the barn."

Oh, that's right I heard them mention they have a riding lesson after school.

"Kate, that's the most I've laughed in a long time."

Katie makes a worried face. "I hope that's a good thing."

I look down at her. "Yeah, it's nice to laugh without someone getting mad or having to listen to girls gossip the whole time."

Sitting with Katie and her friends made me realize how much I've distanced myself from the people I hang around. Hopefully, we can stay friends after everything is over.

As annoying as Katie said Tyler is, he seems fun to be around.

Katie interrupts my thoughts by laughing. "Well, sometimes me and Izzy gossip but we try to keep it to a once-a-week occasion." I roll my eyes as far as they will go in my head.

Katie's fighting a smile as she says, "What? We're girls, what do you expect."

"At least y'all are trying," I say with a sigh.

We're both laughing by the time we get to her next class. "I'll see you at your car, Just Wyatt."

Yeah, I like that nickname too much.

Author here!!
Feel free to comment!