Chapter 18: Football stuff

Kate
The next day

I get to school a little earlier than I usually do because I have a surprise for Wyatt.

I texted Ryan last night and asked him what Wyatt's favorite doughnut is.

On my way to school this morning I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts and got him two glazed donuts with strawberry icing and sprinkles.

I watched him very carefully yesterday when he unlocked his locker, so hopefully, I remember correctly.

Three tries later and I finally get it open. His locker is surprisingly clean.

I place the bag in his locker with a note beside it saying,

Dearest Kent,
I hope you enjoy these...
(Yeah, that's right, open the bag to find out what it is 😝.)
I can be sneaky too, Just Wyatt.
-Yours truly, Katie.

I hope it makes him feel as happy as it made me.

I'm walking to my second class when I get a text from Wyatt.

Just Wyatt: How did you know these are my fav!!!!

I giggle and respond.

Me: I can be sneaky too!

I see my teacher come in so I hide my phone behind a book.

Great idea Katie, text your 'boyfriend' instead of listening to your teacher. Maybe I should put this on my college essay. I'm sure they would love this.

Just Wyatt: You are the best!😍❤️.

Me: (dramatic hair flip) I know, but thanks for reminding me!

Just Wyatt: 🙄

I didn't see Wyatt the rest of the school day because he had football stuff. It was their first game of the school year, but we did text almost all day.

I drive to Izzy's house to get ready for the game. Normally Izzy would be at the school getting ready because she's on the dance team but this game is away so she doesn't have to dance.

I'm greeted by Izzy's little sister Tina. Izzy also has an older brother.

(The one that's leaving for the military the day of the endurance ride, hence the reason me and Wyatt are 'dating'.)

Tina is her half-sister, Izzy's parents got divorced when she was younger. When her mother remarried they had a little girl together.

At first, Izzy didn't like her stepdad but over time she excepted him.

Her dad lives a few hours away but comes and stays with Izzy and her family for every holiday, birthday, and even sometimes just to visit. She's lucky her parents didn't have a messy divorce and they still get along.

"Katy!" Tina yells.

One day she heard Tyler call me Kat and she thought it was the coolest name ever so... she started calling me Kat too.

Let's just say Tyler is weird when it comes to nicknames. I've never asked him why he calls me Kat, but when he heard Tina call me Kat he was madder than a hornet. He had a very long talk with Tina and now she calls me Katy.

I hear Izzy yell, "Katie, I'm in my room!" I go up to her room with Tina following close behind me.

When I open her door I see her standing in front of a full-length mirror curling her hair.

"Good Katie, you're here. I need you to choose one of the outfits on the bed," Izzy huffs.

Tina sits down in Izzy's desk chair.