Chapter 23: A straight black mullet 

Katie
"That's it, Wyatt! Relax your seat, Sammy's not going to do anything!" I yell at Wyatt, from atop Ripley.

I finally got Wyatt on Sammy and showed him the basics. Like how to hold the reins, where his legs go, and how to steer.

At first today in the paddocks he seemed scared, but now (after meeting Jacob) he seems so confident.

I don't understand guys.

Jacob is nice, but so not my type. He had crooked teeth and a straight black mullet.

Look, I have nothing against mullets but they should at least be curly.

"Wyatt, sit up! Don't lean when you turn!"
I yell.

I had him currently weaving through cones to work on the steering.

Ripley stomps and snorts from being bored.
We're standing in the middle of the arena watching Wyatt.

I pull my feet back into my stirrups and tell Ripley to walk forward.

"Don't rest your hands on top of the saddle horn!" I yell for the eighth time.

I see Wyatt shake his head and hold his hands up, way too high.

He is so dramatic.

I had to hand it to him, he's a natural.
He's been riding for thirty minutes and already mastered the basics.

Wyatt stops Sammy beside me. "Okay teacher, show me your skills, so I can have a break."

I glare at his hands resting on the saddle horn again. Before I can say anything, Wyatt interrupts me. "You said as long as I'm not moving I could touch the horn."

I roll my eyes. "You think you are so smart now, don't you? Let the master show you some skills."

Wyatt smirks and signals me to begin.

I had him riding in a western saddle because I figured it would be more comfortable for him.

I'm ridding in English because well, I only had one Western.

I could ride both English and Western perfectly.

English is something I ride more professionally. Western is something I just messed around with.

Not going to lie, I could kill it at a rodeo.
I had the buckle to prove it.

English is what I'm going to ride in college and there are more opportunities for me than Western so that's what I ride more in.

As I'm trotting and cantering around I see Izzy walk over to the arena. Once I finish, I stop in front of Izzy.

"Looking good, Rip," Izzy says.

"Hey, what about me?" I whine.

Izzy laughs and Wyatt walks Sammy over to us.

"Rip does all the work while you look pretty."
Izzy says teasingly.

I gasp, but Izzy ignores me.

"Y'all two get together, I need some pictures." Izzy orders.

"Okay, Mom," I say sarcastically.

Wyatt laughs while Izzy sticks her tongue out.

"I see why that lady at the football game said you were unladylike, Izzy." I joke.

I ride Ripley over beside Sammy. Wyatt wraps his arm around me and Izzy takes tons of pictures.

I glance at Wyatt taking his coat off revealing his arms underneath. I can't help but stare even though I already saw him today without a shirt on.