chapter 6 - listen to the birds

Pov Harlow

Its night and the others still haven't come back from the rescue mission. The baby which now has the name Judith just fell asleep after hours of fussing. Me and carl are sitting with Beth and Hershel in cell block c when we hear a scream coming from the tooms of the prison.

"What was that" Beth asks, and Hershel says "that was from inside" "was it carol" carl asks and I answer him "it can't be she's outside on watch." Hershel thinks for a minute before saying "the tombs are filled with walkers coming in from the outside someone could have done the same."

I stand up "I'm going to go help whoever it is we can bring them to an empty cell block and lock them inside until rick and the others get back, that way we will be safe."

"You can't go alone it's too dangerous" Hershel objects, carl stands up and says "I will go with her were a team and my father would go if he was here."

I smile to myself when carl says were a team because he's right, since the group found me, we have done pretty much everything together and its nice having someone that would follow you into a fight. Hershel nods in approval and me and carl take off running towards the screams.

We're making our way through the tooms when a walker rounds the corner and goes for carl, I quickly pull out my knife and stap it through the head. "Thanks."

We round a corner and see five people one has a bite on their shoulder and the rest are fighting off walkers. I run and stab a walker that had lunged for a tall muscular man, he looks at me in shock, I smile and say "your welcome."

Carl yells "come on" and everyone starts to follow him, I stay at the back of the group as carl leads so I can kill any walkers that follow us. The man carrying the bit woman buckles under her weight, I rush over to cover them as carl urges the man to keep moving "come on you have to leave her she's bit and won't make it."

The muscular man I saved at the start yells "no way." And takes the woman in his own arms and keeps running.

We make it to an empty cell block; we can finally stop to catch our breath. The muscular man lays the woman he calls donna down on the ground, it becomes clear she passed away on the journey here and needs to be taken care off before she turns.

Carl pulls out his gun saying "I'll do it" but I grab his arm to stop him, the muscular man objects, "no we take care of our own." He pulls out a red handkerchief and places it over the lady's head, he tells the man who's sobbing to "go stand at the wall and don't look." He pulls out a hammer and starts bashing the woman's head in as gently as possible.

I'm getting overwhelmed and sub concisely reach out for carls' hand, he takes my hand and squeezes it in comfort, I focus on my breathing to try keep myself grounded and present because now is not the time to have a shutdown.

Once the muscular man is finished, I'm calm enough to speak "look we can help you we have a group most of them aren't here right now but they will be back. You will be safe here for now but right now we have to think of our safety."

I quickly step out of the cell block and close the bared door behind me as carl locks the people inside. a dark-skinned pretty woman walks over to the bars in a panic "Open this door."

I just shake my head and carl says "I can't, this room is secure you will be safe here you have food and water." I decide it would be helpful to mention "it's not permanent we won't keep you prisoner; this is just until the rest of our group comes back just try understand the situation from our perspective you guys are strangers and might be dangerous, we need to take percussions, if the roles were reversed you would do the same."