That's All It Was

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

"Mum" I breathed heavily and pulled her into my arms, squeezing her like it would be the last time I could ever do so.

She tensed but slowly hugged back and I could tell by her body language that she was majorly confused.

"Lia" Draco greeted, showing her a small smile.

"Draco" my mother said and pulled away from me "Care to tell me what's going on?"

"Its probably a good idea if we go sit down, mama" I said. She frowned but followed me into the living room where we all took our seats on the couch.

Draco sat beside me and gently placed his hand on my knee. I shifted closer towards him and cleared my throat nervously. I knew there was no easy way to say this. Hearing that the man you married isn't really who he says he is can be the worst feeling on the planet.

My mother meant everything to me and I just knew that what i'm about to say would absolutely break her heart.

"Do you know where Laten is?" I asked, knowing the answer to this question myself.

"On a business trip, Annaleigh, I already told you this over the phone" she responded.

"He isn't on a trip, mum" I said and she frowned again.

"What are you talking about?" she asked and folded her arms over her chest.

"I know this isn't gonna be easy for you to hear so please just let me talk before you say anything, alright?" I sighed and she slowly nodded her head "Laten isn't on a business trip and I know this because I just saw him at the Ministry"

"The Ministry?—"

"Ma, just let me speak" I said. she cleared her throat and sat back, allowing me to speak once more.

"He is at the Ministry under Auror custody. I don't know how long he's been gone for the 'business trip' but he's been held in the cell for three days" I said and she looked more confused than ever.

"A few weeks back when Scorpius was let from jail, the Ministry hired a new investigator for Anna's case and they happened to discover that Laten is not who he says he is" Draco said and shifted forward "He was tried for dug abuse and unlawful use of illegal curses but escaped a year ago"

"That's impossible" my mother shook her head and stood up "Laten is a muggle"

"Look, I didn't believe it at first either but its him, mum, its him and im so sorry" I sighed and stood to reach for her but she pulled away.

"No" she denied "Its not him. There must of been some kind of mistake or misunderstanding. Laten wouldn't hurt a fly!"

"Call him, ma, call him. I can guarantee you that he wont answer" I said and she slowly pulled her phone from her pocket. I sighed and backed up to sit on the couch beside Draco again.

We both watched as she dialled his number and let the phone ring against her ear for a few moments and just as I said, it went to voicemail. She frowned and called him again but it went to voicemail for the second time.

"What?" she whispered and pulled the phone from her face "B-but he cant be. He told me was a muggle for merlins sake!"

"I know, mum, I know" I whispered and stood up again "But he's been lying to everyone this whole time. It's all been this stupid scheme to make up for some lost money and you got caught in the crossfire"

"Our vows" she whispered "He told me he loved me, I—I can't believe this is happening right now"

"Come" I said and pulled her into my arms again. She cried silently and for a moment, I let her. To her, her whole world had just come crushing down and I knew that feeling all too well.