ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ

"Zain..." His name unraveled out of her mouth in a wild exhalation.

"Emma..." Hers tumbled huskily.

"Wait, you two know each other?" George asked, seemingly surprised.

Startled by the question, panic ensued, and Emma made to deny this for a fact despite knowing how blatant the lie would seem.

But Zain beat her to it. "Yes, we do in fact." He didn't break eye contact, and Emma's pulse hammered so hard it hurt.

Fear sizzled to life when George looked at her with intrigue.

"What a small world. How do you two know each other?" He asked as he snaked a strong hand around her waist, creating a tingly feel.

Emma's heart skipped a beat when she saw Zain's lips part in a manner of speaking, but he said nothing. Rather he stared intently at her as if daring her to say anything but.

She didn't know why she did it. Perhaps it was the shrill cold that stole through her or the fear that threatened to squeeze the air out of her lungs. It could've also been out of that inexplicable dread, but she looked into her husband's eyes and lied to him.

"He's just an old acquaintance. A friend back in the university." From the corner of her eyes, she saw Zain scoff vaguely.

Why did fear grip her at the prospect of George knowing about her and Zain?

Not that George didn't know about her past, but it's just... God, there was no sensible reason to cling to.

"Very good friends." Zain drawled in a way like he was mocking her.

"This is so great. Zain. I'm even more sure we will be having a great time as business partners." George mused, ever so cheerfully that Em wondered whether he really didn't sense the tension or was just playing the fool. "Anyways, Zain, I'll go to the study to arrange some of the files on my upcoming projects we'll be talking about after dinner. I'm sure you two have to catch up on some R and R."

Leaning down, he kissed her briefly on the lips and turned to leave. Em trailed her eyes after him and waited, waited till he shut the study door behind him, then let the rage tear through her.

Casting Zain a bitter glance that she at that moment wished were daggers, she turned and stalked off towards and into the kitchen.

She was seething, and she didn't know if she could hold herself back from lashing out at Zain in the living room where her husband could chance upon it any minute.

As soon as she entered the kitchen, a grasp on her hand made her gasp as she hit the hard chest of Zain, forcing her to smell his intoxicating cologne.

Shocked she looked towards the kitchen counter where Maggie, her aunt and daughter's nanny, stood staring at them, slightly taken aback.

She pulled away from Zain and straightened. "Thanks." She whispered to Zain, making it seem as if he'd saved her from falling. Then she looked at Maggie. "I'll take over from here, aunt. You really need to take some rest and please don't argue."

Smiling, the middle-aged woman nodded and walked out of the kitchen. She made for the counter and Zain followed. "Why do you look so angry?"

She spun around, glaring at him furiously. "You ask that? You fucking need to ask that? You planned it all didn't you?"

No doubt it made sense. He probably knew that George was her husband and had resorted to using him to get close to her. She should've known that Zain would never give up.

He blinked, looking confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't even dare to play the fool with me." she pointed a warning finger, then went to chopping the lettuce Maggie had begun with, taking out her agitation on the poor vegetables.