Fifty-Seven

“Far from that.” Before he realized what he was doing, Zain found himself opening up about his life with Em, the illness that had separated them, his return to find her married with a kid, his decision to get her back and the ultimatum she'd issued him today.

“That's. . . bad?” She commented, placing down her bottle after taking a swig. She exuded genuine understanding of how he felt despite her flippant words.

“It's still hard but I guess...” He wanted to add 'I'll heal' but stopped when uncertainty set in. “I only made things difficult even though deep down I knew that she didn't love me. I just refused to accept it. Which reminds me. I stayed celibate for five whole years after Emma and I separated. Clearly, that bastard is a poor excuse of a man.”

“Well, you had far more drastic reasons to. But thank you for trying to make me feel better.” Standing up, she polished the rest of her beer. Opening her purse, she took some bills and tossed them on the counter. “I should be going.”

She stumbled with just a step. Swiftly, Zain held her in place, realizing some seconds later how close they were from the way he was holding her. “Just how many bottles did you take?”

“Uhm, four?” She replied, causing Zain to wonder about her endurance rate.

“Will you be driving?” He asked.

“Yes.”

“I'lI take you.” He offered before he could think about it. “You don't look too sober.”

She waggled her fingers at him, shaking her head, her voice more slurry than before as she spoke. “Don't exaggerate. I'm not drunk, and I can drive on my own.”

She made to walk away, then stumbled. Taking it to his advantage, he cocked an eyebrow. “So much for not being drunk.”

“You know what? I'll just call Ryan to...” She trailed off as sadness flashed in her eyes, and Zain figured that Ryan was the name of her asshole ex boyfriend. “Fine. Take me.”

They took her car, Zain deciding to pick up his later after dropping her off. Even though he didn't feel quite as sober, he believed he was in a much better position to drive than she was.

As he drove using the address she'd given him, she talked more about herself; her job as an obscure model and aspirations to become a fashion designer. Modelling did suit her, considering her beauty and shapely, curvaceous body.

After a while, it was obvious the alcohol had set in quite much than before, and she talked on top of her voice, laughing raucously, crying when something reminded her of her ex, and laughing, then back to crying.

It was deplorable, and he found himself distressed by her state.

On reaching a large edifice where she told him to stop, she told him her apartment was on the tenth floor even though it wasn't necessary. Parking somewhere suitable before they stepped out of the car, Zain decided that she probably wanted him to accompany her to her apartment where she would feel more safe.

“Okay, so here we are. Safe and sound.” He grinned as they reached her door while she fiddled with her keys and tried to open it. Taking it from her, Zain unlocked the door for her.

As she took back the keys and stepped in, she turned to look at him still standing outside. “Hey, thank you for today.” She laughed. “You know, you're awesome and damn right. Ryan is a jerk. An asshole.”

Suddenly she threw her arms around his neck. He stiffened, but barely a second later, his body reacted to the heat of hers, hardening him in a demanding rush of need. The reaction was so sudden that Zain realized that he hadn't felt this kind of desire with anybody apart from Em.