Fourty-Seven

She was doing it intentionally, Zain, lounging with Love, realized as he glared at Em who was frolicking on the shores of the sea with George. It had been foreboded in the smile she'd given him before she and George had ventured off. It'd been filled with a dare.

Still, he couldn't ignore how beautiful she looked as the breeze ruffled her velvety black hair, the sun bouncing off her skin. He however had to cut George from the picture and ignore how his arms wrapped around her and his lips captured hers every five seconds.

"Oh just stop glaring and let them be happy." Love groaned from beside him, then turned as she regarded him more keenly. "Seriously, she looks so in love and happy. Are you sure about..."

"I thought we already talked about this, Love." He mused, still staring at Em. "Em loves me. I can feel it deep in my bones. She's only afraid to let it out because she fears how it'll affect her daughter. What she refuses to see is that I can make her daughter just as happy."

"It's always gonna be different because you're not her real father." Love brushed strands of her black hair away from her face as she pointed it out.

Transferring his glare to the woman some inches away from him, he watched as her chin rose rather defiantly. "Am I supposed to get somebody else to help me with this, Love?"

"That's not necessary, but.."

"But nothing." He said softly, not wanting to irritate her. "We talked and you agreed to help me. Please don't act like you wanna back out."

"Fine." She sulked, crossing her arms on her chest.

Emma and George returned a few minutes later, the man holding their daughter, a big lovesick smile on his lips that Zain wanted to wipe away. "You guys had a good time?" He had to force the words past his teeth.

"With George, it's always a good time." Em was the one who answered as she stared intently at him. He only nodded at her, already knowing her game.

"Hey we were planning on going parasailing as the last adventure of the day." George mentioned.

"So you want us to join you guys?" Love suddenly asked.

"Uhm, I just wanted to inform you guys since it wouldn't be nice to disappear on you, but I guess it'll be great if you come along."

"Yay, I'm in. Won't miss a chance for some adrenaline rush." Love squealed almost exaggeratedly. She'd talked about her likes and dislikes, and Zain had figured she was a fervent thill-seeker and loved to take risks.

"You're excited?" Em stared at Love with mock incredulity. "I'm shivering right now." She chuckled along with Love. "So you've experienced it before? How does it feel? Is it scary when you're up there?"

Before Love could reply, Zain jumped. "That's what I thought when I was about to do it for the first time, but believe me that you're gonna be yearning for more once the first experience is over."

"Oh," Em replied awkwardly. "I see."

Zain wondered whether her response would've been the same had Love been the one who'd explained.

***~***

Luckily, they arrived at the south beach just when there were only three remaining passengers waiting to parasail. Em watched, mouth opened, seemingly in awe as the parachute begun to fly, pulling the people along.

"My goodness." She gushed, her arms wrapping around George as he laughed teasingly at her. That sight made him grit his teeth, wishing those sweet arms were wrapped around him instead.

When finally, the passengers had completed their adventure and returned to the shores, a new barge of 12 including the four of them were ushered on board and given vests. Emma had entrusted Amy into the care of a kind woman from the parasailing company.