Fourty-Four

When Emma had suggested the vacation, she hasn't expected George to answer with the enthusiasm with which he did, but he answered with one that pleased her. Within four days, he'd managed to sort out his businesses enough to arrange a trip to New Orleans. Their New Orleans Music and Heritage festival was just a day away, because of which all the hotels were full.

To prevent them from sleeping in a hotel on the outskirts of the town, George had contacted a friend from his high school days. The man had just recently bought a house and moved out of his apartment with his wife, and he agreed to offer it to them so they could stay there for two days, after which they would take a flight to Florida to spend the rest of the vacation.

As their flight took off, Em couldn't blame her daughter for her giddiness. Not when she couldn't contain her own frisson of excitement... and fear. She'd heard that vacations could do wonders. Hopefully, it would help her to finally gather the courage she needed to unearth her secrets to George, reveal her lies, come clean.

After the vacation of course.

She didn't rule out the possibility of George leaving her when she finally told him the truth. In case that would be, she was planning on taking advantage of this vacation to create several beautiful memories which when combined with the old ones, would see her through George's absence.

The three or so hours flight ambled by pleasantly, and as they went through the security checks and grabbed their luggage, they were met at the waiting area by George's friend, Gustavo, and his wife, Amanda. Gustavo stood at about 1.8 metres, well built, and his language and accent gave away his Spanish heritage easily.

"Mi amigo." He called as he stretched his arms wide. "Look at you."

He embraced George who chuckled softly. "Todavía sentimental, somos nosotros?" He pulled back and slapped the other man's cheeks tenderly. "Anyways, I've missed you."

George's past hadn't allowed him the courage to make much friends, and he'd explained that Gustavo was his closest friend among the few he'd made.

Stepping away from his friend, George stepped towards the woman who stood beside him. She was blonde and very fair skinned with soft blue eyes. Giving her a once over, George opened his arms and took her into a hug. "Look at you, Amanda. You've changed so much. Marriage must be treating you so well."

Shaking her head, Amanda jabbed a playful finger in George's chest. "Now look who's talking. I should be thanking your wife for looking after you so well."

Pulling away from George, Amanda stepped towards her, and Emma returned her smile. "Emma, I'm so happy to see you again." She announced, pulling Emma into a hug.

Pulling back, she glanced at George and Gustavo and sniggered playfully. "These husbands of ours are always content with talking once in a while over the phone. They won't give us an opportunity to meet frequently."

"You know men. They are not as sentimental as we are." Emma said. "I'm glad we are meeting again after so long.."

"Hey there cutie." Amanda crooned as she knelt in front of Amy. "Look how big you've grown. You were so small the last time I saw you. How are you, sweetheart?"

"Good." Amy replied with a childish smile.

"Guess mummy and daddy have told you what you gonna do here. Are you excited?"

"Yes." Amy replied rather enthusiastically, which brought a smile to everyone's lips. Stroking her cheek, Amanda took Amy into her arms and stroked her hair gently.

"¿Alguna vez has estado en un festival como el festival de Jazz?" Gustavo suddenly asked, then frowned as Emma crinkled her brows in confusion. Gustavo turned to George, throwing him a chastising glare. "You've not taught her?"