ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ sɪx

Emma looked into his eyes and saw the concern shimmering in those dark brown depths for her.

"That group therapy - how did George end up there?” Zain asked, and then quickly added. “If you're okay with sharing of course.”

Emma stared at him for some seconds, considering the appropriateness of talking to him about George's past behind his back. Finally she shrugged. What was the harm in doing that?”

"George's mother died giving birth to him and his father resented him for that so he sent him to go live with an aunt even as an infant. After his aunt died when he was just eight, his father had no choice but to take him back. But apparently, eight years hadn't been enough to placate the father's wrath. He still blamed his son for that and abused him emotionally and physically for ten years straight." Just like her, he'd grown fearful and wary around people because he feared they would hurt him like his father did.

Emma remembered how much she'd cried it had startled her when George was asked to share his experiences of the abuses he'd gone through in the hands of his father. And he described so vividly the events that it was obvious those memories still haunted him; his father's punches and kicks, the emotional trauma he'd intentionally put him through.

There'd been nights he would be so beaten that he would think there would be no surviving it, yet he would wake up for more.

"That's so not right. How could his father be so cruel to blame him for his mother's death and abuse him so much for that?" Zain asked looking stunned, anger flaring in his eyes all on George's behalf.

Emma smiled, understanding his reaction. George's story would always be enough to coax a warm, sympathetic response from the most cold hearted person. "But he survived Zain. That's what counts. That's what I admire about him the most."

Unlike her, he'd sought ways to escape his prison of emotions and hadn't allowed his past to affect his future. And he didn't act bitter towards others for what his father did.

"So where's his father now?"

"He died of a chronic illness 3 years ago. Before dying, he called George to ask for his forgiveness. George isn't the type who likes to hold anger in him when the guilty apologizes so he forgave him." Emma smiled at the recollection of how lighthearted George grew after the forgiveness episode.

"That's. . . admirable." Zain said, seemingly picking his words carefully.

"Yes. I looked up to him for strength back then whenever my past threatened to crumble in on me. He's like an anchor for me and he claims I'm his as well." She chuckled softly. "That's what made me fall in love with him and makes my love strengthen each day."

Nodding, Zain looked away briefly and Emma realized it was in an attempt to hide his emotions. She probably shouldn't have said the last part, but she didn't regret letting out her feelings for her husband.

After a few seconds, Zain looked back at her. "George was able to forgive his father. Do you think you can ever do the same if your dad came to apologize?”

Startled by the emotions that streaked through her at the question, she brought her cup to her mouth and tried to swallow the lump rising in her throat together with the coffee that'd gone cold through their discussion. "I don't know, Zain. And I honestly prefer to not think of it."

He nodded awkwardly while Emma got to her feet. "I'll go and bring Amy so we can do whatever you're planning."

**~**~**

The day turned out more fun than she could've anticipated, and Emma found herself more and more perilously comfortable in the man's presence.

Zain first took them to the an amusement park and though she was mostly ignored because Zain and her daughter were busily bonding and enjoying themselves, she was glad her daughter was getting along so well with him.