Fifty-Six

Zain took a swig at the cold bottle of beer in his hand, wanting to while away the memories of the day's events that kept coming back to him. First had been finding out about his dad's infidelity.

He'd been driving back to George's company to oversee some things, his stomach tight from uncertainty since he'd known Em would be returning from her trip soon to give him her answer. He'd just been rounding a curve when he saw his father's car parked at the side of the road.

He'd barely wondered what his father would be doing here when he saw it; a woman who looked to be in her late thirties kissing his father before leaving his car. Every muscle in him had froze, and he'd blinked several times to make sure he wasn't mistaking someone else for his father.

His father had been about ready to drive off when he caught his eyes, and he seemed to freeze, dread clouding his expression. Zain had parked his car at the other side of the road, and getting out, rage tearing through him, he'd confronted the man he called father.

The coward tried to deny that he'd kissed another woman, stating that it'd been the other way round. That the woman had been pestering him for months. Incredulous, disillusioned and enraged by his father's betrayal, Zain bad teared him one right on the streets, and in that moment, he'd lost every ounce of respect for the man.

The last time it'd happened, nearly sending his mother to her death, he'd only forgiven the man because of her. But with this one, especially after he'd sworn with tears in his eyes that he would never betray his mother again two years ago, Zain knew forgiveness for this man would be a luxury difficult to afford.

He'd warned his father to not be so stupid as to have his affair right on the streets where anyone could see him and tell his wife. Because he would be damned if he believed for a single second that his father was going to end his affairs.

Zain had issued a compromise; that they would in front of his mum pretend to be on normal terms, and at work cooperate as the CEO and the general manager. But outside those fields, the man shouldn't expect any respect from him.

Deciding to keep his mother in the dark wasn't top on his desires, but it was a must. The woman was so happy and content with her marriage, thinking her husband would keep to his vows of never betraying her again. The last time she'd had a fatal heart attack. God knew what finding out about this would do to her, and he wasn't willing to lose her.

And then hours later, Emma had called, requesting that he pick her up from the airport. He'd gone with heart in mouth, one mistake and he could crash it with his own teeth. Except it had fallen back into his chest, only to shatter when Emma had given him her ultimatum; that she didn't love him, that it was her husband she loved and wanted to be with.

It'd felt like the whole world was tumbling on his heart, calloused to the pain it caused him. Yet he'd tried so hard to keep his tears at bay. Hell, he'd tried. But once she accepted his plea for a last kiss, the treacherous rivulets had unleashed and betrayed him.

Her lips had held a promise; that this was never going to happen again.

The waiter setting down another glass of beer he'd ordered on his cover pulled him from his thoughts. As he grabbed the bottle and took a long drink of it's ice cold content, Zain remembered how he'd driven off to his apartment and let his emotions take over as he buried his head in a pillow and cried. Now he felt numb.

He made to set the beer on the counter, and that was when he saw her. Wearing a loose tank top and a pair of jeans that hugged her snuggly, her striking red hair gave her a sultry appearance.

But it wasn't her dauntless beauty that caught him. Rather it was because of how she took large gulps of beer from her bottle, only breaking for air and then diving right back in.

Finding himself inexplicably drawn to her, he swallowed down the urge to walk over to where she sat at the other side of the long counter, watching as a guy did the opposite.

She seemed to glance at him sharply as he spoke, muttering something, and within seconds the man turned and stomped off, muttering what seemed like curses. Zain chuckled despite himself. He found himself still looking at her through the next ten minutes, watching as three more guys tried their luck at probably a hook up, each walking away each time with a deep scowl.

Unable to help his curiosity at what had put the woman so on edge, he stood up from his stool and made his way towards her. Before he was even four stools away from her, their gazes met, and the cold look she shot him was enough to make him hesitate. Only for a while though.

Grabbing the stool which was two stools away from her just so he wasn't crowding her space in case she didn't like it, he slanted her a smile. “Hey.”

“I will tell you like I told the other hundred guys; I don't need a fucking one night stand.” She bit out, sounding exasperated.

“Who said I was looking for one?” He asked, unfazed.

She quirked an almost surprised brow at him. “Then what do you want?”

“I don't know.” He shrugged casually. “To listen? To talk?”

She was building walls around herself, he could sense that, and he was perceptive enough to know that she needed a friend, or at least someone to talk to. While he was in for anything that would help distract him from his thoughts. “So want to share what's bothering you?”

“Who said anything is bothering me?” She asked, trying for a nonchalant shrug, still not looking at him.

“Well it's not everyday you find a woman-” he looked around “-sitting alone at the bar counter in a bar, gulping beer like it's her lifeline.”

He looked at her intently. “So what brings a beautiful woman like you here?” He cringed at his own words, flashing her an apologetic smile. “Sorry. That sounded like a cheesy pick-up line from a movie. Bad try.”

“I was going to say that.” She chuckled and finally turned to him, and he was met with striking blue eyes. As blue as the sea. Just like that he felt her ease up a bit, taking down the top blocks from her wall and allowing him to peak above it.

“It's my boyfriend. Or should I say ex.“ Scorn and regret filled her voice. “He forgot our no break up promises. He broke up with me after cheating on me.”

“What?!” Zain exclaimed, surprised by the ridiculousness of it all. “He broke up with you even though he cheated on you?”

Is cheating the thing of the century or what?

“It's all my fault. We've been together for two years and yet he has never even seen me naked. I only wanted to make my very dead mother proud and hold my virginity till I'm married like she did, and I totally ignored his feelings. I should've known he is a man and I can't just keep his libido locked in my virtues and expect him to live a celibate life, but...”

“What are you saying?” He felt a twinge in his heart at the look of self-disdain in her eyes. “How could he cheating on you have been your fault?”

She looked at him as if he was dumb for not figuring it out. “He tried several times to, you know, get us to do the deed. For like two years. How could I expect him to live without being sated for that long? It's not like I'm beautiful than that woman i found him with.” she was obviously quoting things the jerk had told her.

“Is that the shit that blind asshole put in your head?”

“Blind?”

Without hesitation, Zain clarified, “You're beautiful. Inside out. He wasn't wise enough to wait for after the two of you got married to unleash his desires. He didn't deserve you in the first place.”

Their gazes met and locked, like she was in a daze. Blinking she looked towards her empty bottle, which prompted Zain to buy her and himself another round. She smiled at him when the waiter had delivered them. “Thanks for your words. They're... ”

She looked like she was struggling, then sighed as if giving up. She took a drink of her beer without gulping, but judging from the shake of her hand and her slightly slurry voice, Zain figured she was tipsy.

“So what about you?” She suddenly asked after they'd sat in silence for a while, just drinking their beers. “Everything perfect in your love life?”