xiii. a sandy mess

"I hate the beach." The team, minus Wally, was in this sandy desert. Rowan sat on the sand with an oversized shirt over her green bikini. 

Robin plopped himself next to her, "Cheer up, would you? We have the whole tomorrow to be moody."

Rowan sighed and watched M'gann run toward the water with her surfboard, "Hello, Megan. We should hit the beach every day."

"First a moment of silence for our absent comrade."

"Poor Wally."

Everyone stayed silent for only a second and the next, everyone ran into the water. Superboy and Rowan stayed back, watching them.

"Why do you hate the beach?"

Rowan couldn't say she was buried alive in sand and almost died. She couldn't say she was dragged by a boat as she nearly drowned in the water. So, she told him another reason why she hated the beach, "I hate sand. It gets everywhere."

Superboy chuckled a little and stayed silent. He had no motive to talk further, instead listen to the waves crashing and the seagulls making random ass sounds. Rowan liked Superboy because he didn't feel the need to fill in the silence with small talk. There was no nonsense being said as they watched their friends splash one another.

"C'mon, Rogue!" Rowan narrowed her eyes at the boy, "Remember what I said!"

Rowan sighed and stood up, giving Superboy her hand to pull him up. When she did so, Superboy pulled her down, making her face plant into the sand, causing sand to get into her mouth.

"What the fuck, Supey!" Rowan coughed slightly as he ran into the water with a laugh. "Oh, I'm so getting you back for that!" She quickly threw her t-shirt off her body and ran into the water. What she didn't notice was a certain boy with dark glasses blushed and quickly looked away. 

Rowan jumped on top of Superboy, quickly shoving him underwater. But, because of his stupid super strength, he pushed her off him and into the water.

The girl rose up and pushed her hair back, but her silver earrings got caught in her now black hair. Before she could get frustrated with it, Robin walked over and began to slowly untangle it. He didn't pull a single hair and it almost felt nice to the girl.

As he did this, Aqualad peeked out from the water, "I find the water soothing, do you not, Rogue?"

"I mean, I do, but it just feels like I can't breathe."

Robin quirked an eyebrow and his fingers paused, "What do you mean?"

Rogue was about to just dismiss the subject, but she remembered what she promised herself. The girl had to get over her attachment issues and live life.

"Well, uh," Rogue was really trying here, "There's a lot of pressure on your chest and lungs in the water."

"Yes, but Rowan, doesn't it feel-"

"Excuse me?"

M'gann furrowed her eyebrows, until she gasped, "Oh, no. I'm so sorry."

Rogue rolled her eyes as Aqualad began to speak, "It's okay. We will not say anything, you have my word." She trusted him, but she didn't trust the boy scout's clone.

The blue-eyed bitch spoke up, "Yea, yea, I promise, Rowan."

"You bitch!" She pulled herself away from Robin and almost immediately got dunked again. Her hair getting tangled with her earrings, again.