xliv. nightwing

Rowan's feet padded across the tile on the floor. She woke up in the middle of the night to feel her stomach rumbling in hunger.

She walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge. There was no one around her as she grabbed green grapes, ready to go back to her room to munch on them.

"What are you doing?" Rowan looked up through her eyelashes to see the man she was trying to avoid.

The girl stood up straight, still holding onto her grapes, "I'm getting food." His eyes scanned her up and down, suddenly making her very aware that she was in a tight, sleep shirt and shorts, "What are you doing?"

"Getting water." He walked around her to grab the bottled water. Rowan began to walk away from the very awkward conversation, but his words made her freeze, "Why don't you just leave as you clearly want to?"

Rowan sighed, feeling a fight brewing, "Trust me, I do. But, your mentor won't let me." For some reason, seeing him with a mask on created frustration with her. It was like every feeling of anger that she pushed away, he seemed to have to endure.

He closed the fridge, "Well, I'm letting you. Just leave and go back to Olympus."

Her jaw clenched, "It would be better than here." She stalked closer to him, "Why did you even have to stop me, huh? Why can't you just leave me alone, Nightwing?"

Dick seemed to almost be at a loss for words, but he regained his stance, "Because I'm confused. Before you left, we were happy. Then suddenly, you left! Without a warning. You left me to pick up the pieces."

"You think I wanted to leave?" Her voice grew louder, "I wish I could've stayed—"

"Then why didn't you tell me, huh? We could've found a way out together."

"You would've tried to save me." Rowan's voice lowered, "And if you did, then we would've both been dead."

"You don't know that." They both seemed to realize how close they'd gotten. Dick could feel the heat that her body was giving off.

Rowan shook her head, "I do know. The gods would've come to Earth and destroyed us."

Dick stared at her for a few moments with a look she had never seen before. Rowan knew it wasn't anger, she's seen him outraged before, but this? She could see he just pitied her at this point and that was worse than anger.

The girl shook her head at the boy, "Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you feel bad for me!" She pointed a finger at the boy, "I don't want your pity, Dick. I don't want anything from you or anyone—"

"Why not?" Dick stepped closer as she hesitated, "Huh? Why don't you want me—anyone—to help you?"

"I dug my own grave." Rowan stared into his domino mask, finding his face to soften, "You read my letter. You know the story."

Dick shook his head, "I did." His voice wavered, almost like he was scared to speak too loud, "And it just told me that you were scared to go. We were young and I know you didn't deserve to go there."

Rowan stayed silent, glaring into his chest. She didn't know what to say. The girl knew how she felt on that fateful day and never in a million years would she think that she'd be standing in front of Dick again. Her Robin. But, no matter how much she wanted this, she never could have him again. Olympus would track them all down and bring them back there. Rowan would never be free.

The girl stepped away from him, feeling his stare on her, "It doesn't matter what you know. It matters what happened and will happen." She clenched her jaw at her next words, "We are no longer friends or dating. We are two different people from who we used to be. You're Nightwing and I'm-" She hesitated at saying the name, almost like she didn't want to be the destroyer, "I'm Abbadon."

Dick immediately shook his head but didn't say anything. He knew she was right. They weren't the same people anymore, he just has to get it through his head.

"So what?" The boy tilted his head, "We act like we're normal and never had a past?"

She could hear a slight tone of anger, but she ignored it, "Yes. If that what keeps us both alive? Then, yes." 

The boy wanted to argue and tell her that he could keep her safe from the gods if they ever came to take her back. That the whole team would risk their lives for her, but he also knew that was the reason why she was doing this. So, nobody had to sacrifice themselves for her.

Rowan gave the boy a nod, "Goodnight, Nightwing." She didn't wait to hear what his next words were as she walked out with her green grapes. 

Dick watched her form as she left. He sighed, feeling a slight pang in his chest, and whispered into the empty air, "Goodnight, Rogue."

Rowan opened the door of her bedroom to find the TV on and Thor was fast asleep with all the blankets on the floor that he must've kicked off. She sighed and turned off the screen. The girl placed the blankets back onto the boy, giving him a slight kiss on the crown of his head, "Sweet dreams, Thor." She placed the grapes on his bedside table, knowing he liked to wake up and eat warm grapes. What a weird child he was.

The brunette slid in next to him, finding it hard to sleep. It was either too hot or too cold, or she was too itchy. It was a never-ending game, keeping her up. But, once she finally drifted off, it wasn't just darkness. 

"Hello, Abbadon." Rowan clenched her jaw once she found herself back in the pit, across from a tan man wearing a pink tunic. His brown, curly hair sat perfectly on top of his head, "I see you've escaped."

Rowan rolled her eyes but didn't speak. She analyzed the man and saw he looked tired and sweaty. The tunic that usually had no wrinkles—had red stain splotches in some places. His hands wouldn't stop shaking and she noticed how tense he was, even though he tried to act cool and collected. The girl was taught how to read people by the gods and criminals. It was her specialty.

"Eros," She tilted her head at the man, "I see you've found me."

He began to walk around, looking out into the empty stands that would usually be packed for fights, "Well, it wasn't that hard as I know you used to live in this, uhm, rathole."

A small scowl found its way onto her face, "I see the gods are mad." She tilted her head at his widened eyes.

"Why would you assume that?"

"Your bloody, Eros." Rowan watched as he tried to wipe the stains off, "Your hands are shaky, you're sweaty, and most importantly, you're not screaming your head off at me for escaping."

"No, no, no," Eros seemed to be going wack as he uncontrollably shook his head, "You're an assassin, correct?" 

"Those missions you sent me on weren't for nothing."

The god shook his head, "Ares sent you on those. I don't like fighting."

Rowan clenched her jaw at the god of war's name. To her, Ares was a respectable man. He actually visited her a few times and taught her how to fight well. When she asked why he was doing it, he always said the same thing, 'I see something in you, Abaddon.'

Eros' eyes were erratic as he looked at her, "You know how to kill, clearly. You kill them for me."

"Who?"

"Them!" Rowan took a slight step back as he came closer, "The ones that also escaped! They are here for a reason, Abbadon. If they do not come back, they can destroy Olympus, don't you see?"

Rowan furrowed her eyebrows, "Wait, wait, wait. You want me to kill all these monsters that you trapped because they might kill you? But, you're also the person that trapped me?"

Eros pursed his lips and nodded, "Sounds about right."

"Fuck that."

The god immediately shook his head, "If you don't—"

Rowan woke up.