xxvii. percy and levi

The girl stood on top of a roof, staring down at the city. It was peaceful until a certain someone joined her.

"If you go; you won't come back." Rowan turned around to meet eyes with August Lee. He wasn't in his 'phantom' costume and clearly didn't look like he was here to kill her.

She took a step closer, causing him to take a step back; he was scared, "Isn't that the point, Lee? To get me gone so you can finally be daddy's little monster?" Her glare hardened, but his eyes just went to the floor.

"Listen, Rowan. I-" August inhaled a sharp breath, he looked tired from what she could see. His eyes had bags under them and his shoulders sagged, "-I should have listened to you about everything. I should have run away when I got the chance—"

"—When did you start going to him?"

He hesitated, "About a month after we met. It was at one of our football games and he took an interest in me." He finally met her eyes with her, "Y'know how my family is. I have six siblings and my father's dead, nobody pays attention to me."

Rowan began to circle him as if he were prey, "So, you thought since you had daddy issues and craved attention like a duck following after its mother, you had a right to kill people."

"You did it!"

"I didn't have a choice!" The two stared down at each other, neither making a move, "You're an imbecile little shit who doesn't care about anyone else except for yourself. You're lucky that I'm not stabbing you right now."

"Look, I'm sor—" Before he could say anything else, he disappeared. Like, fucking disappeared like a magic trick, right before her eyes.

Rowan shook her head, "Right when he was about to apologize too." Not like she would forgive him, but it would be funny to see.

The girl started to hear crashes from below, making her run to the edge to see what was going on. Cars crashed into houses and poles. Children began to scream for their parents. 

All the adults were gone.

Without hesitation, Rowan sprinted from building to building, trying to reach her. Once she finally got to her roof, Rowan saw Lola looking over the side of the building with wide eyes.

"Lola!" The little girl looked up at her. Rowan ran at her, pulling her into a tight hug, "Fuck you for making me worry."

The girl laughed at her words, "So, just don't worry."

Rowan unwrapped her arms around Lola and kneeled down, "Well, I can't seem to not worry about you, kid." She grabbed Lola's hand and began to grab her grappling hook, "Let's go be heroes." She held onto Lola, "Hold on." The young girl did as told and they swung through the air, their feet landing on the concrete of the road. 

"That was so much fun!" Lola smiled up at the teenager, "Can we do it again?"

Rowan laughed, "Maybe. Now, c'mon, we gotta save some kids."

The two looked in every car and building, successfully saving three toddlers and one baby. Rowan had one toddler on her shoulders, one on her arm, and the baby on the other arm. Lola walked with the other child beside them. The girl didn't know where to go as she never contacted anybody on the team, but then they saw a TV in a shop window.