xlv. losing valerie

"Lose," The short man with horns said, "That's all I want."

Abbadon stood in her cell, a few inches from the creature before her. The magic-installed bars that locked the girl in were the only thing separating them. 

She stared into his purple eyes, trying to see if there was a secret motive, "What do I get out of it?" Rowan's learned never to ask why, but to ask what she get's in return. It's not about information anymore, it's just about surviving.

His eyes widened, "You get a 'get out of jail free card'." 

Rowan's eyebrows furrowed, she's never heard of people escaping Olympus, "What do you mean?"

"You get to explore what it's like next to all the important gods."

"What's the catch?" She watched as his right eye twitched and that's when she found out that was his tell.

"No catch."

Without hesitation, Rowan grabbed the man's collar of his white shirt, bringing their faces only centimeters apart, "What's the catch?" Her voice was low, almost daring him to lie to her again.

The man squirmed in her hold, "No catch! No catch!" Once he realized that her grip on him wasn't loosening, he stopped moving, "Fine! It's only for a day, but you get everything you ever ask for."

"From servants; people like us!"

"Then maybe you can bond—" He started to choke as she moved her hand up to his throat, tightening her hold. She watched as his eyes turned red from all the blood rushing to his skull.

"Say that again. I dare you."

The man began to shake his head, implying he won't. She loosened her grasp, letting him gasp for air, "Lose, Abbadon. You have to."

Going against all her lessons, she asked the only question that ran through her mind, "Why?" He was silent for a moment, causing her to tighten her hold once more. The man squirmed then gasped for oxygen once more as she let him go, "Tell me. Now."

"The gods want this guy alive. He has a big role and they know you can kill him."

"Why don't they just take him out of here?"

The man looked around, making sure nobody was listening, "They can't have anybody knowing about it, it's top secret."

Rowan would usually disregard the whole conversation, but this seemed important. Now, for the first time ever, information might be the one key to getting out of Olympus.

Abbadon stood there, blood pooling around her. The crowd around her began to cheer and scream. But, she couldn't hear anybody from the pit.

All she saw was the large man, lying dead on the floor. It almost gave her flashbacks to the last time she killed that girl, but Abbadon refused to feel guilty for something she had to do.

The guards came in once again, dragging her out as she watched the large man getting hauled out by randoms. For the first time that night, she looked up into the shouting crowd to meet eyes with blue ones. 

Zeus stared down at her, none of the others seemed to see him. Maybe it was her imagination, she did get hit a lot and blood seemed to cover every inch of her skin. The god looked at her as if she just insulted his entire bloodline, maybe she did. But at the moment, Rowan couldn't give a single fuck.