xxv

Having you near me

///~~///

Heeseung turn away from the boiling pot on the stove when he heard the familiar ringtone of Jake's phone for the third time since he came home. He stared at the younger boy sitting on the dining table, looking distant and as if he didn't hear the incoming call.

This has been going on for more than a week already. Since that night when he drove Jake back to their apartment building, he started acting weird. The younger boy refused to go back home after that- he didn't even attend work.

Heeseung sighed deeply as the unanswered call ended. He turned facing the stove before turning it off.

He didn't have a problem about Jake staying at his house- he could stay there for a year and Heeseung will never complain. He considered living in a same roof with Jake already but he knew they are still not ready for that. There were still things that they needed to discover about one another, and maybe establish a stronger relationship- about it, Heeseung isn't sure.

The older boy began scooping rice, placing it on two plates as Jake's phone started ringing again. Heeseung knew it was Sunghoon. There were only two persons calling on Jake's number. If he answers it the caller is his boss, but if he's ignoring the call like this, it's Sunghoon.

If it was the old Heeseung who's insensitive and toxic, he should have told Jake to turn off the device. He would not care even if he knew there was something going on. He was selfish and uncaring- but he changed.

He walked towards the table and put their plates down, his eyes not missing to read the contact registered on the screen- it's the restaurant manager, Jake's boss.

“You should answer that,” Heeseung speaks, pulling Jake out of his distant thoughts. “Even if you basically own the restaurant, you are still an employee. You can still get fired.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Heeseung asked as he sat beside the younger, staring worriedly at him.

“Talk about what?”

“About something that's been troubling you the past few days,” Heeseung said. “Is it something about work or is it something about your friend?”

Jake heaved a sigh, “It's nothing.”

“Okay,” Heeseung gave up easily. “I will not push you unless you're ready to tell me whatever is troubling you.”

“Let's eat.”

+++

“Sunghoon and Ni-ki broke up...”

Jake watched as Heeseung's eyes slowly open- the sleep slowly washing off his peaceful face when he heard his voice.

“Remember the story I was telling you before? About our childhood promise...”

“What about it?” Heeseung asked, his voice sounding tired as he adjusted himself on the bed. He hugged Jake's waist and burried his face on the younger boy's neck.

“I'm...”

Tears clouded his eyes with just the thought of it- lying to Heeseung.

“I'm afraid I'd have to leave you too...”

“Is that why you're avoiding him?” Heeseung asked, his breath hitting on Jake's skin didn't feel as tickly as it was used to be. It didn't sent chills on Jake's body, no more butterflies circling around his stomach.

Jake hums in response.

“Can't we talk about it with him? He may consider us this time,” Heeseung continued.

Jake shook his head.

“We should at least try,” Heeseung said.

Silence surrounded the room, lulling the older boy back to sleep.

“Heeseung-hyung.”

“Hm?”

“I loved you.”

“I love you too.” Heeseung whispered back, perhaps he was too tired to hear the difference of the words they used.

The next morning, Heeseung drove Jake to the restaurant- hoping he will finally settle things with Sunghoon and Jake will feel at peace again...without a clue that it will ruin the younger boy's thought more.

i'm writing this while currently standing next to a random store with random ppl bcs its raining too hard and i don't have an umbrella with me. just sharing. the traffic enforcer thought i was mad texting a lover, lmao i don't even have one.

who asked for jakehoon on the previous chapters? 👀