The Truth

MIA

I wish I could evaporate after what I just said. 'We're not a couple.' It's true. But a very depressing and disheartening truth. I once again turn my attention outside the window, but I can't really focus on any damn thing outside. My mind is submerged with him. His memories. Our bittersweet memories. The heartbreaks. My thoughts crash back to reality only when I see the car entering through a humongous gate. In front of me, stands a skyscraper. I've passed through this building a few times, but never did I imagine that Kian would be living here. As soon as the car comes to a halt, Kian gets out and I unbuckle my seatbelt. Just as I'm about to open the door, Kian opens it for me and offers me his head. I stare at it for a second and then walk past him. By the way his nostrils flare, I can tell he did not like my behavior, but he lets it slide. Kian walks ahead, while David and I follow behind. As we're walking, I watch and admire the whole interior of the reception lobby. Doing a spin while looking around, I whisper to myself "Wow". It is the definition of elegance. The building looks modern and extravagant inside-out, in every way. The whole lobby is well-lit with cream-colored walls, ceiling to ground windows. gorgeous furniture and spotless marble floor beneath. The receptionist, a beautiful and sleek lady, greets Kian as he walks past her while Kian nods at her. He must be important here.

"Is he like an important person around here?" I whisper to David. Before David could reply to me, Kian's voice booms "I own this building, Mia." as we enter the elevator. I sink my teeth into my bottom lip in embarrassment. But he owns this building? That's gotta be a joke. I notice that there are 22 floors in this building, and Kian presses the 22nd button. Obviously. "When did you get so rich?" I blurt out. At that, both Kian and David chuckle and I mentally slap myself for saying that out loud. I look down while fidgeting my fingers, too embarrassed to look up. From my peripheral vision, I catch Kian staring at me. Why is he always staring at me? Soon enough, we reach the 22nd floor to be greeted by a dozen men in black suits. I figure they're the guards.  Kian walks past them, heading towards a giant dark brown set of doors. He turns on his heels to catch up with me and then starts walking again with me on his side. He enters a code and scans his biometrics, then the humongous doors open, revealing a wide hallway. It looks decent, with the beige walls and monochromatic paintings hanging here and there. As we walk into the living room, I suppose, my jaw slightly drops. From where I'm standing, anyone can tell just how classy and spacious this penthouse is. There's not much furniture in the living room, but whatever there is it's so grand that it makes the living room complete. A big leather couch facing the enormous TV set, a spotless black marble-top coffee table. A few paintings adorn the smooth light-grey walls with dark grey and brown curtains. A crystal chandelier hangs in the middle of the ceiling. It's not lit, but its crystals are sparkling, making it look gorgeous. The light coming from the windows is sufficient to light up the whole room. And there's a balcony too. 

Suddenly, an elderly lady appears in front of me. 

"Welcome, Miss Mia." She bows which I don't like. "I'm Dana. Maid of the house."

"Hello, Dana. And just call me Mia. No need to be formal with me." I tell her.

She smiles and says, "Mia it is." And bows again.

"Please don't do that...umm.. please don't bow in front of me."

"Why, don't you like it?" She frowns slightly.

"No. It's just that, I'm no royalty and I certainly did nothing to deserve your respect. Plus, you're so much older than me." I utter awkwardly. Respect should be earned and even if I did earn someone's respect, I would insist that they not be so formal with me. For me, it is absolutely absurd to be treated as superior through curtsies and titles. Surprisingly, Dana pulls me into a hug. Startled by the sudden action, I freeze for a second and then awkwardly hug her back. 

"Okay, Dana. My turn" A voice interrupts us, making Dana mad. I turn to look who it is and find a tall, lean man with a receded hairline. He looks like in his forties. He smiles warmly at me as he greets me. "I'm Martin. Butler of the house." That makes me grin

"Martin?" I parrot and smile like an idiot.

"Does my name sound funny to the little lady?" He grins at me. I instantly shake my head. 

"No. It isn't like that. It's just that Martin was the name of the butler in The Parent Trap. And you kinda look like him too..." I justify. He actually does look a lot like Martin from The Parent Trap.

"I look like Martin from The Parent Trap?" He smirks. "Interesting."

"Okay. The introductions are done. You guys can get back to work. Come, Mia." Kian's loud and annoyed tone startles everyone. I almost forgot that he was there too. Dana and Martin both roll their eyes at him and then disappear in different directions leaving me with Kian and David. I turn to them.

"I'm gonna leave, too. Bye, Mia." I wave him goodbye and watch as he leaves. Now it's just the 2 of us. "Finally." Kian exhales. 

"Time for the house tour. Oh, and your room is already prepared." There is a sudden change in his glum tone to a slightly enthusiastic one as he grabs my hand, leading me towards the L-shaped staircase. Before he could go any further, I stop him. 

"Kian, wait. I want you to explain to me all this mess." I cross my arms over my chest.

"I will. I promise. But first, let me show you your room. You're gonna love it!" He exclaims. I hate to ruin his excitement, but he can't just keep me in the dark.

"No. First, tell me the truth." I insist. He sighs defeatedly.

"Okay, settle down." He nudges towards the couch and we both take a seat. He sits close to me, but this time I don't scoot away.

"Here goes nothing." He mutters to himself.

"I know what I'm about to tell you will surprise you and you might even think that I'm lying or just joking around. But everything I'm going to say is a hundred percent true. You have to believe me. " His tone showcases his seriousness. 

"Thanks for the disclaimer." I stick out my tongue. 

"Have you ever heard of the mafia?" He asks calmly.

I nod. I have read about the mafia. And then my eyes widen when the realization struck me. "It still exists? Don't tell me you're a part of it!" I think I already know the answer to my own question, but just won't admit it.

Kian smirks. "Yes, I am. In fact, I'm the boss of the American mafia. The Mafia King." Unbelievable.

_______________________________________________________________

Gosh! This chapter was long. 

Thanks for reading.

Do vote, share, and comment. 💜💜