Theatre Practice

MIA

After having a delicious breakfast and thanking Dana for it, Kian grabs my hand and takes my bag from me. When we enter the elevator, I free my hand from his grasp and make some space between us. By his aura, I can tell that he's mad. 

When we make it to the car, David meets us there. He flashes me a smile and so do I.

"I have something very important for you." David says with a playful smile on his lips. I frown. He digs his hand inside his pocket and takes out a pouch and a small case. I know what these are. That little pouch has my medicines, and that case is my Invisalign. Once I realize, I quickly snatch them from him and utter a quick 'thank you.' I absolutely forgot about my Invisalign and medicines due to all this mess. 

"Your mom called me last night," Kian speaks up, "You weren't picking up her calls. I told her that everything was taking a toll on you and that you needed time to absorb all this. She told me that you left your Invisalign and meds at home." He explains. "How could you be so irresponsible, Mia?" He scolds me lightly, causing me to look down at the ground.

"It wasn't actually my fault. You were the one rushing." I grumble.

"Get in the car." I follow his command.

He settles close beside me on the backseat. When the car starts moving, David, who's sitting at the passenger seat, tilts his head back and asks, " What are the meds for?"

"It's for my allergy." I reply.

"What allergy?" He asks. Ugh, I hate telling people about my allergy. Then they think that I'm sick, but I'm not.

"I'm asthmatic." I reply in a low voice, enough for him to listen. As his face slightly changes, I can tell that he pities me. I hate it when they pity me. It's not like I'm dying. Hell, it's not even that serious.

"Is it bad?" David asks further. 

I shake my head. "No, it's not that serious. I don't usually have frequent attacks. My asthma is seasonal. As long as I'm taking meds once in every 3 months for 10 days, I'm good. But yeah, there are things that can trigger the attacks like smoke, dust, over-exertion, some strong pungent smells. And I also avoid eating cold or sour thing a lot. Although, I love ice-cream." I ramble on, not sure he understood a word. He nods and says "You gotta take care of yourself. And we'll make sure that you're in good health as long as you're here." He smiles.

"You don't have to worry about her. I've already made all sorts of arrangements for her. It's my job to take care of her." Kian, who has been quiet up until now, snaps at David. David rolls his eyes at him. and leans back in his seat.

Kian turns to me as he says, "So, you joined theatre?" I nod.

"We're doing Frozen and I'm playing Anna!" I exclaim. "And this is gonna be my last show at high school since I'm graduating in 3 months." My smile slightly drops at that. I really love theatre and our crew and our coach.

"When is it?" Kian asks, rubbing his thumb soothingly on my hand. "Next Saturday." I answer. "Would you- uh like to.... come see the show?" I mumble, slightly embarrassed.

"Hell yeah! I'll be your number 1 fan." He smirks making me smile. 

The car stops right in front of the gates of my school. Marta Louisa High School. A private school. Only rich parents can afford this school for their children. The school is great. Much, much better than my previous school, Alderidge High, where I studied till freshman year. Where things started and ended roughly. Where I made most of my bitter memories. Where I met Kian. Where my heart got broken. I'm so glad my parents let me leave Alderidge High and sent me to Marta Louisa. Of course, it took a lot of convincing.

"Take care and call me when you're done. I'll pick you up." Kian says as I open the door, ready to get out.

"I will. Goodbye." I hop out of the car and stride towards the humongous gate. I look back at the cars one last time before entering the building. I know Kian won't move until he sees me disappear into the building. I know the 3 cars wouldn't budge without his orders. Shaking my head, I clutch my bag closer to my chest and quietly enter the green room. 

The green room is bustling with people. The theatre crew. My friends. Vincent is the first one to notice me and he instantly runs towards me and engulfs me in a tight hug. 

"Why the hell were you ignoring my calls and texts?" He whispers. By this time our friends have gathered around us, looking at me worriedly. I pull away a little and give them all a smile. 

"What did he do to you?" Ariadne asks in a high pitch voice.

"Did he hurt you?" Vincent snarls.

"Guys, I'm okay." I state calmly. "He did not harm me. We talked. Things are really complicated right now. But you guys don't have to worry about it. I'm fine." I speak and share a secret glance with Vincent, signaling him that I'll tell him everything later and he gives a small nod in response, receiving the message. 

Before anyone could say anything else, a loud, cheery voice booms in the green room. It's none other than our theatre coach, Mr. Ashton Hazel, in all his glory. And I must admit it he's the best teacher I've ever seen. He was in freaking Broadway! He's so cool. But only with his theatre students, for the rest of them.... he's strict. And he's hot. Really hot. Almost every girl at school is swooning for him. That does not include me. 

"Now where's my favorite student?" Mr. Hazel's eyes scan the room until they land on me and as they do his smile widens. Yep, I'm his favorite student.

I smile and start walking towards him. 

"Bonjour, Monsieur." I greet him.

"Bonjour, my dear. How are you this morning?" 

"Fabulous. And you?"

"Wonderful, darling." He ruffles my hair and then turns to the crew. "Okay, let's start with some warm-up, then Mia," his eyes land on me once again as he continues, "I'll be needing your help. Devine won't be able to join us today, she's sick. So, would you please take her place and perform as Elsa. We need to finalize the vocal arrangements and improvisations." 

"Yeah, sure. No problem." I give him a thumbs up and he flashes me his charismatic smile.

After a quick vocal warm-up, we begin the stage rehearsals. I perform as Anna and then comes Let It Go. Our signature piece. Although it's not my responsibility, it's Devine's, but I dare not mess this up even in rehearsal. I've loved this song for years. I've known it by heart. Every word. Every note.

I sing Let It Go, just like Elsa did. And I'm glad that I don't mess it up. I hit every high note accurately. When the music ends, applause roars in the backstage and I spot Mr. Hazel cheering for me in the audience. 

"Perfect. That was just perfect, Mia. I still don't get why you refused to play Elsa." Mr. Hazel says.

While I was performing, I could feel someone's stare on me. A dark, dangerous stare. Like a predator's. It wasn't Mr. Hazel's. It was someone else's.

Or maybe I was hallucinating. 

_________________________________________________

TBH I picture Henry Cavill as Ashton Hazel.

DO VOTE, SHARE AND COMMENT.