Sleepless Night

MIA

Nothingness.

All is numb.

I have possibly gone blind because all I see is nothing. And I do absolutely nothing to change that. Why should I? I'm too tired; too tired to feel; too tired to breathe; too tired to exist. 

Uncertainly, I can hear. I can hear strange and muffled cacophonies. 

And suddenly...GUNSHOTS! I hear gunshots, muffled and distinct. As time passes, the sound of gunshots becomes clearer, as if they are approaching me.  When they become insanely loud, my vision comes back. With the vision, panic comes rushing like an angry wave. Comprehending what I see, I shut my eyes. I'm in a car all alone, curled up in a ball in the back seat. I hear the door ripped open and a cold metal pressed to my head. I know what it is. Just as the trigger is pulled, I scream at the top of my lungs and my eyes flutter open. Darkness welcomes me once again, but this darkness feels somewhat safe. It takes me a second to realize that I'm in my room in Kian's penthouse. 

It was just a nightmare.

The door flies open making me scream again. A giant, looming figure rushes in and I start crying as I jump down the bed and search for a place to hide. Before I could go any farther, two strong arms engulf me from behind. Two familiar arms. Kian's arms. I instantly melt into his embrace, still crying. Slowly, he turns me around and I bury my face into his bare chest.

"Shh, baby. I'm right here. There's nothing to be afraid of." He coos, and I stop crying. His fingers graze my scalp ever so softly, while his other hand is wrapped securely around my waist. He settles us both on the bed before asking softly "Did you have a nightmare?" I nod while sniffling. 

"It's alright, dear. Nothing  can harm you." He coos into my ear as he lays us both down on the bed. I cuddle closer to him, in dreading need of his warmth. Eventually, my eyes grow heavy and I drift to sleep.

                                                       ※※※※※※※※※※※※※

Sleep didn't come easily to me last night. The nightmares didn't let me sleep. I would constantly wake up crying and whimpering due to those horrible nightmares. And each time, Kian would hold me, gently rock me in his arms, just the way you do with a baby. 

It was rather a sleepless night for the both of us. Kian woke up when I woke up. He didn't get much sleep either. But it was he who kept me sane all night and gave me the comfort I needed. 

Now it's 6:00 a.m. and I can't stay in bed any longer. Kian is still asleep. Detangling our intertwined legs and slowly freeing myself from his stronghold around me, I get out of bed, making sure that I don't wake him up. I tiptoe my way to the bathroom to get ready for the day. I look in the mirror and grimace at my reflection. Anyone can tell that I didn't sleep at night by looking at my face. 

I brush my teeth and do my skincare, which makes my face at least a little less bad. When I step out of the bathroom, I find that Kian isn't there and the bed had been made neatly. Tossing myself on the bed, I reach for my phone on the bedside table. I notice that there are dozens of texts from my friends and 5 missed calls from my mom and Vincent. I call my mom. 

[Hello, Mia?] I hear her voice over the phone.

"Hi, Mom." 

[Oh god! Why weren't you answering my calls? I had to call Kian to check on you. Are you okay?]

"Yeah, I'm okay. How are you? And Dad and Nick?" I ask.

[We're all well. Just missing you a lot. Nick was a little upset since you're gone, so your dad took him to the park. We told him that you need to focus on school so you'll be moving out temporarily. He'll be fine.] Temporarily.

[ Is Kian being nice to you?] I hear her nervous tone. 

"Yeah, he is. Uh...I'll call you later, Mom. I've got theatre practice." I reply.

[Okay. Take care, dear.] I hang up.

I decide not to call Vincent or respond to any of the texts because I'll be seeing my friends at the theatre practice. Yup, the only friends I have at school are the members of the theatre club. They're the nicest people at school. Rest are just disgusting. Before changing my clothes, I search for the charger of my phone. It has sufficient battery right now, but I still want to charge it. Kian didn't give me the charger. As I open a drawer of the bedside table, I find the charger. With the charger, I also find something else. A box wrapped up in a paper gift wrapping and ribbon. It has my name tag on it. Could it be a gift for me? Wow! Wasting no time, I pick up the box and open it. I scrutinize the blue velvety box in my hand. I open it to reveal a gold necklace with an 'M' charm pendant. I place the cute necklace on my palm and admire it. My eyes fall upon a folded paper that has my name written on it inside the drawer. I pick it up, unfold it and start reading.

My beloved Milan, 

Time seemed to stop when my eyes fell on you... 

I thought that our love would become a faint memory over time, but it certainly didn't. It only grew; grew to unimaginable heights. 

And now that I have you back, I plan on never letting you go. Winning you back will definitely not be easy, but I'll never stop trying. And once I do win your love, I will keep it and cherish it forever. I will make it with you till forever.

For now, please grace me by accepting this little gift. 

Yours Kian.

Speechless. This is indescribable. I put on the necklace and admire its beauty. 

Our love was all sparks and glitters once, all glamorous. But now, I'm scared of those sparks and glitters; that glamour terrifies me because it all came to a tragic end which shattered me and to even think of a repetition of that makes me shudder.

This letter that lies in my lap is beautiful, and so is this necklace. Kian used my official name 'Milan' to address me in the letter rather than my nickname 'Mia'. He knows I like my official name more than my nickname. MILAN. It was the name given to me by my grandma. She is Italian and was in love with the city of Milan, where she spent her childhood. I miss her. She lives in Florida in a huge beach house. That's where I used to live with my grandparents but after my grandfather died in a car accident, my parents decided to bring me to LA with them. I was 4 when the accident took place. I was in the car too, in the backseat when a truck collided with our car. I lost my dear grandfather. With him, I also lost a majority of my memory before 4 since I had hit my head pretty hard. 

Refraining from crying, I get up and walk to the closet. I put on a light blue tank top and some jeans with white sneakers. Then, I retreat downstairs to the kitchen. Dana greets me and asks me what I would like to have for breakfast. 

"Pancakes," I reply. She smiles at me and starts preparing pancake batter. I wonder where Kian is; maybe in his office. Search for Kian begins. I spot Martin coming out of Kian's office and run to him.

"Good morning, little miss." He chirps. 

"Good morning, Martin. Have you seen Kian?" 

"He's in his office. And he's uh... fuming. I suggest we leave him be for some time." Martin starts shoving me in the opposite direction. Ignoring Martin's protests, I knock on Kian's door. 

"Come in."

__________________________________________________________

Got a little backstory of Milan's past.

Do VOTE, COMMENT, AND SHARE. 

PEACE✌💜