My Sunflower, My Sunshine

KIAN

Upon reaching the main office building, I'm instantly greeted by every single person as I make my way to my office. I simply nod at them as I pass by, headed straight to my personal space. Some glance at the blood stains on my shirt and on my hands. Yes, I have to clean up, especially before I leave to pick Mia up. She cannot see me like this. 

This main office is where all the mafia work takes place neatly and professionally. After all, it's organized crime. We keep it very sophisticated here. All the meetings, virtual or physical, take place here. All our activities are planned here. And the building is just like that of any other big company's. Expensive and clean, so that nobody could suspect a thing. 

As soon as I open the door to my personal office space, I rush to the bathroom and take a look in the mirror. God, I look awful. Mia would never love me like this. I truly am a monster. I even physically hurt her yesterday, it wasn't intentional but I couldn't control myself either. And this morning I lashed out at her. I see it in her eyes how scared she is. But there is something else as well. Something more. I see how much she has changed. She's not as carefree as she used to be. She used to talk a lot but now she has gotten quieter. It's not just about the crazy circumstances we're in right now; she has changed.

I look at the stains of blood on my shirt and hands. She will never love a monster. I can hide this side from her, but for how long? One day or another, she will see what I truly am. I shake all the thoughts away and strip out of my clothes to take a long, cold shower. At least, I can mask this side for a while. 

Once I'm clean and freshly dressed, I settle on my large mahogany desk and start going through the files of our deal with the Italians. The Italian Mafia is our biggest ally. Their Mafia boss, Matteo Moretti, is like a brother to me. He helped me the most when I was made the boss of the American Mafia. We haven't talked in a while, and I haven't told her about Mia yet. Honestly, I want to keep Mia just to myself for a while. 

I am halfway through the papers when my phone buzzes. It's Mia. I accept the call and put the phone over my ear while my heart flips inside my chest. Jesus, she makes me so nervous.

[Hey, you there, Kian?]

"Yeah. Hi" Fuck. That was so awkward.

[The practice is gonna be over in 30 minutes. You're coming right?]

"Yes, of course. I'm on my way." I quickly get up and make my way out of the office. "Mia, just stay inside, okay? Don't come out until I tell you to. I'll be there on time, but just in case..." 

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Bye." She hangs up. It slightly angers me how she doesn't understand or care that her life is in danger. She has to understand the severity of this situation. But I can't completely blame her. At least, she's cooperating. 

"Where are you going?" David catches me midway.

"To pick Mia up. I'll head home after that."I reply. 

"Okay. I'm coming along."

Together, we get in the car and head to Mia's school. It's around a 30-minute drive from here to Mia's school, but we will make it in less than 30 minutes. 

"Did you go through the papers for tomorrow's meeting with the Italians?" David asks.

"Yes, but only half of them. I'll read the rest later." I respond to which David simply nods.

As I knew, we reached the school in less than 30 minutes. David parks the car in the school's parking lot, and we wait for a while before I call Mia and tell her to come to the parking lot. Finally, she comes out, but not alone. Surrounded by a few kids, she walks out. They all are talking and by the looks of their clothing and hair, disheveled, it seems that they were indulged in physical activity. Mia's eyes wander around the parking lot and finally spot my car. She part ways with her friends, except for one guy. That's the one who was trying to fight me off yesterday. He looks familiar. But what is he to Mia? I know Mia's single unless she's hiding this from me...