01

"Mommy! He's real I'm telling you!" Frances raised her voice. Currently sitting at the kitchen table with colorful Crayola crayons around.

Courtney huffed in anger. She tossed a dirty plate in the sink that Frances finished dinner with. She turned on her heel. Facing her daughter.

"What did I tell you?! Your father, is dead. He's gone. And he isn't coming back! So stop this nonsense!" Courtney scolded as she crossed her arms.

Frances was on the verge of tears. "No mommy.. I saw him. He's real. He's–" her voice was cut off by her mother.

"Frances! For the love of God. Stop this! You have to realize he's dead. You hear?! I miss him just as much as you do. But he won't be real. He is gone." Courtney sternly boomed.

The child lowered her head. Her dirty blonde hair fell over her eyes. Tears being held back as her mother shouted again.

"Go to your room! I'm done. Go! Now!" Courtney shouted as she pointed her finger down the hallway.

Frances quickly grabbed her drawing. Leaving the crayons in their place as she ran upstairs.

Courtney remained downstairs. Having a cigarette break to calm her nerves.

A small slam of a door can be heard from upstairs, but Courtney didn't bother. She simply switched on the television.

Frances held the drawing tightly in her little hands. Warm tears rolling down her face as she sat in front of her bedroom door. Her back pressed against it.

Her blue eyes staring at the drawing. It was of him. A teardrop fell onto the paper. It dampened a bit.

Sounds of footsteps started to come up. Frances audibly gasped as she stood herself up. She quickly went to her bed. Hiding the drawing under her pillow.

Courtney opened the door. "Hi Frances." Her voice spoke. More calm and gentle now.

Frances turned her head. She forced a smile onto her face. "Hi mommy." She replied.

Courtney walked over and brought her child into a hug. Lightly squeezing her daughter. "Kiddo, I know it's hard on you. But it's hard on me too."

Frances Bean knew exactly what her mother meant. But she didn't speak. She simply nodded her head.

Courtney released the embrace and patted her daughters shoulders.

"Now, you get in your PJs. Mommy's gonna get you a glass of water to put on your bedside. Then, I'll come tuck you in. It's bedtime, kid."

Frances nodded again. Courtney kissed her daughters cheek and then left the bedroom.

"He's real." Frances muttered as she gets ready for bed.