19

A few days have gone by. Everything seems to have been much more relaxed in the house.

Frances has the television on. Watching some cartoons as Kurt is sitting beside her.

Dave is in the kitchen. Making sandwiches for lunch when the telephone rings.

He furrowed his eyebrows. He answered it. "Hello?" He spoke into it.
"Where is she?" A female voice spoke back.

Dave went wide eyed. "Oh, hi Courtney." Frances looked over at the kitchen.

Kurt snapped his head over too. "Shit." Frances frowned. "I don't want to go back to mommy.. I wanna stay here. I'm happier."

Kurt turned his head to look at Frances. He flapped his wings and kissed his daughters forehead. "I know. I'm happier too."

"Go talk to mommy!" Frances spoke out the thought. Kurt stared at her. "She doesn't believe."

Frances snapped her fingers. "But Krist didn't believe and he heard your voice!" She beamed. A grin rising to her face.

"...Uh." can be heard from the kitchen. Dave is frozen. He didn't want to deal with this. Being accused of false crimes.

Kurt sighed. "Well, it's worth a shot. You stay here and watch television. I'll go talk with her."

Frances bounced on the couch and giggled. "Yay! Yay!" She grinned.

Kurt ruffled her hair and stands up. He closed his angel wings and walked himself to the kitchen.

Dave looked over. Telephone to his ear. Mouthing the words to Kurt, "what do I say?"

Kurt chuckled. He held his hand out. Dave furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Yet handed Kurt the phone anyway.

Kurt placed the landline phone to his ear. Dave went back to making the sandwiches. His neck having hairs stand up from anxiety.

"Hello." Kurt spoke into the phone. Courtney on the other end audibly gasped. Recognizing the voice immediately.

"Kurt!?" She shouted into the phone.

Kurt felt his lips curled into a smile. Frances is right. They may not believe, but they can hear and see objects move.

This caused Kurt to remember when he slammed the door days ago. He wasn't seen. But he was heard.

"Courtney, I know you may be really confused right now."

Her panicked breathing can be heard on the other end.

"But it's okay." Kurt reassured his ex-wife. Dave placed a plate on the table with a sandwich.

"Frances! Lunch is ready!" Dave called out. Frances ran into the kitchen and sat at the table. Eating the meal.

She watched her father as she ate. Grinning happily, realizing her mother can hear him.

Dave sat at the table with Frances as he listened to the phone call.

"So Frances..wasn't lying?" Courtney spoke on the other end. Kurt hummed. "No, and you didn't believe her."

"I can't believe this.. I missed you. I want to–"

"–No, Courtney. I'm sorry. We can't do this." Kurt shakes his head. Imediantly knowing what she was going to say.

His body leaning downwards on the counter. His arm that held the phone was propped upwards. The phone up to his ear.

His angel wings draped down. Slightly opened.

He knew in his heart now that he is bisexual. His heart is longing for the ex-drummer of his old memorial band.

He moved on.

"This doesn't make any fucking sense. How do I hear your voice?! How does Frances see you and I don't?! Kurt Cobain! Please explain!" She cried out into the phone.

The sound of her taking a drag of a cigarette can be heard as well. Kurt simply smiled at her cries.

"Frances tried over and over for you to listen. But you didn't. You didn't believe her. So, you can't see me." Kurt sneered into the phone.

Courtney hiccuped a sob before responding back in the phone call. "Where's our daughter, Kurt?!"

"–She's with me. Alive. She's living with one of my friends." He replied.

Dave and Kurt felt their hearts ache when the word 'friends' was mentioned.

"What..? You're telling me, for the past few weeks of our daughter missing. She ran away?!"Courtney screamed into the phone.

"I helped her escape! She didn't want to be around you!" Kurt shouted into the phone back. Dave helped Frances out of the chair.

He muttered. "C'mon, you can go upstairs in my room. I have some crayons and paper you can use to draw with."

Trying to distract her. Frances liked the idea of coloring. She nodded her head and followed Dave upstairs. An empty plate rested on the table.

Kurt watched them go. Getting the hint as he sighed audibly into the phone...