Chapter 41

Kaido-Sama choke the life out of him... and Straw Hat Luffy sank to the bottom of the dark nighttime sea!

Both the Kozuki samurai and the captain lost! Who's next? Can anyone else win?! Kaido-Sama will go downstairs and start "cleaning"!

Kaido-Sama will accept your surrender! Those who put their hands in the air to surrender and obey...

... will be spared and welcomed as subordinates!

Everything else around me sounded muffled and far away as I tried to process what the broadcast had announced moments before.

It's not true. I tried to tell myself, feeling my fingers tremble. I refuse to believe it... I stared down at the floor as my mind kept repeating the same line over and over.

Straw Hat Luffy sank to the bottom of the dark nighttime sea!

I tried to get my breathing under control, taking deep breaths.

Surrender, Land of Wano! It's a losing battle! It's already over!

I whipped my head towards the frog as it hopped closer, glaring at it as I slowly stood up.

Straw Hat... sank to the bottom of the nighttime se-!

I stabbed my sword through the frog, tilting my head down. "I've heard enough."

Shinobu ran up beside me and stared at the frog. "This is a Mary, right?! It's here which mean...we're in trouble aren't we, kin-Sama?!"

"Maybe the enemies know where we are!" Kin'emon exclaimed, stunned.

"We need to move." I whispered, turning my head to the others. "It's only a matter of time before Kaido or-"

I stopped my sentence, hearing footsteps climbing up the ladder behind me. Turning, we watched as a man appeared waving. "Hey!"

"This voice...!" Momonouske exclaimed.

"Momonouske!" I stared from the man to Komonouske, confused. "It's been a long time!"

"What?! No way!" Shinobu shouted in disbelief.

"Shinobu, you're looking good too!" The man shouted.

"F-Father!" Momonouske shouted, tears puddling in his eyes.

I brought my gaze back to the man, now even more confused. This man is Oden? But I thought they said he died 20 years ago...

"No, Shinobu-San!" Kiku shouted, grabbing Shinobu from advancing to Oden.

"Father! Father!" Momonouske shouted happily.

"Do not look at him!" Kin'emon told him, blocking his vision.

"What?! Let go of him!" Oden ordered, opening his arms. "It's a tear-jerking rejoining of a father and son!"

Seeing the hostility of Kin'emon and Kiku, I figured out that there was no way that the man in front of us was Oden. I pulled my sword out of the frog, aiming it in front of me.

"It's not!" Kiku shouted.

"Get backs Shinobu!" Kin'emon warned the woman.

"I'm Kozuki Oden!" Oden, or the imposter, introduced.

"You did it once and you're doing it again!" Kiku shouted in hatred, readying their sword. "You're telling an obvious lie!"

"Hey, Kiku, what's wrong?? Get that grim look off your face!" The fake kept acting. "It's me!"

"Shut up!" Kiku yelled, pointing their sword. "How dare you... kill Ashura-San..."

Kiku rushed to the imposter, now known as Kanjuro, preparing to attack. He began spouting nonsense, throwing Kiku off guard. This allowed Kanjuro to stab Kiku.

Oden morphed into Kanjuro as he laughed. I clenched my hand into a fist as I watched Kiku and Kin'emon. I looked over to Shinobu, seeing she was stunned and Momonouske looked mortified.

When I saw the hatred on Kin'emon's face, I lowered my sword. Knowing it'd be best to let him take care of Kanjuro. Instead I went over to Kiku and worried about stopping the bleeding.

The battle only lasted a few minutes, Kin'emon victorious. He made his way back over to us, as I removed my hand from Kiku. "Luckily Kanjuro didn't hit any vital organs. Kiku should be fine now with proper treatment."

"Kin'emon! The Marys have already found us here! Let's leave before the enemies come!" Shinobu suggested.

Hearing a bang, I glanced up to the ceiling just as it caved in, causing a cloud of dust. As the dust settled, I stared at the man in front of me, angered washing over me. Kaido.

"So you were hiding here, brat!" Kaido stated, glancing to Momonouske, Shinobu standing in front of him.

Kin'emon walked in front of both of them, readying his swords. "Shinobu! Take Momonouske-Sama and run!"

"Get out of my way! Samurai of the Land of Wano!" Kaido threatened, raising his club in the air.

"I will not!" Kin'emon shouted with pride, not wavering in the slightest.

I watched as he brought his club down on Kin'emon, as Kin'emon blocked it with his swords.

Though he blocked the blow, the impact and force was enough to make Kin'emon cough up blood and drop to the ground.

Kaido began to walk away as I saw Kin'emon attempt to stand up. I stepped forward, helping him stand. "Kin'emon, I know how you feel, but you're not condition to fight him."

He shrugged me off and stumbled forward a couple steps. "Wait..."

Kaido ignored him and kept walking, making Kin'emon grit his teeth. "Wait!"

This time Kaido stopped, but didn't turn around. "Wait... you have too... fight...me!" He choked a few time. "I will not... allow you too... lay a finger... on Momonouske-Sama!"

Kin'emon raised his broken sword above him, attempting to stab Kaido's leg with it. He collapsed to his knees, coughing but never letting his grip go from the sword.

"What's the point of stalling for time?" Kaido spoke finally, glaring down at Kin'emon., raising his sword. "What's gonna change by fleeing? Die gracefully, like a samurai!"

Knowing I need to do something, I ran forward just as the blade came down and managed to slightly alter its course. I grimaced as I heard the sword stab Kin'emon, regardless.

I stared down as his grip fell from the sword, noticing it stabbed his side. Damnit... I glared up to Kaido, letting out a sigh. Guess it's up to me to buy time, huh?

I bent down to Kin'emon, placing my other hand on his back, careful to not harm him anymore. "You're gonna be fine Kin'emon, just wait for me, 'Kay?"

I glared back up to Kaido as he began walking away, running to step in front of him, blocking the way he was going. "We're not finished."

I watched as Kaido glared down at me, sending shivers to go down my spine. I held my stance, pointing my sword at him. "I can't let you reach Momonouske and Shinobu."

"It's another one of you damn Straw Hats..." He tightened his grip on his club. "Why do you keep fighting? Your captain is dead by now."

I bit my lip, growling at the man. "He'll be back. And when he does, he's going to kick your ass!"

"Wororororo!" He laughed, "No devil fruit user has a chance of living when they fall in the ocean."

I am... Kozuki Momonouske!

My eyes widened, hearing Momonouske's voice.

I am going to tell you... Luffy's words! Luffy is alive! He is talking to me saying he will be back! So... So keep fighting! Even if it is painful and hard!

I am sorry... but fight as long as you live!

I looked to Kaido with a smirk, "Told you so." Stepping one foot back, getting into a fighting stance. "I just have to keep you here until Luffy comes back."

———
Published: 02/01/2023