Sick Bed Confessions

Joe Keery has always been my best friend, and I love him. I am so madly in love with him but there's no way I could tell him. We've been friends for so long, I'm sure if I told him how I really feel, it'd make things weird and ruin our relationship, and I couldn't risk that, I couldn't lose him. 

Joe was the reason I didn't date anyone else, why I couldn't date anyone else. I couldn't while I was in love with him. No one would come close to being as amazing as him, as handsome as him - no one had my heart like he did.

He'd called me earlier, he was sick and needed me to look after him (typical male thought he was dying.) I left work early and stopped at the pharmacy, stocking up on everything that I thought would help him and headed home.

'Joe?' I yelled out, as I opened the front door.

I heard a moan coming from somewhere in response.

'Where are you?'

'In my room' He groaned as he shuffled out of his bedroom, looking like death, and only wearing his boxer briefs - a sight that just about killed me!

'JOE!!! Get back to bed, don't be walking around in your underwear, that's not helping!'

I turned him around and shoved him back towards his bed.

'I've got everything you need to get better, just stay in bed and I'll look after you.'

'You, my darling Y/N, are an angel!' He said as he got back into bed.

'You must be sick, you've never called me that before!'

'I have! I'm sure I have!' Joe said before succumbing to a coughing fit.

'Okay mister, less talk, more rest.'

I had a look in the bag and took out the cold and flu tablets, the tissues and the cough medicine. I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

'Here, take this.' I said as I handed him the tablets and the water

He took them with no argument and sat up to swallow the water before handing the glass back to me and lying down. I put the glass on the bedside table and went to leave. I felt Joe grab at my wrist as I went to move away.

'Stay with me.'

'What?'

'Stay here with me, I don't want to be alone while I sleep - please.'

'Okay, I guess I can watch TV in here instead of in the lounge. Let me go get changed, I'll be back in a sec.'

Joe let go of my wrist and I headed to my bedroom to put my pyjamas on. When I came back into Joe's room, I grabbed the TV remote and turned it on before sitting on the empty side of the bed, as Joe turned to face me, curled up and closed his eyes. I flicked through the channels, before settling on some crap to watch - the best of the bad choices. I would often glance over at Joe while he slept, he looked so peaceful, even with his body fighting whatever it was that was making him sick.

He'd been asleep for about an hour or so, when he started tossing and turning and muttering in his sleep.

'Y/N, don't leave me, I love you, I need you - please don't go.' He began mumbling.

I turned to look at him and he was definitely still asleep. He was starting to sweat so I put my hand to his forehead and he was burning up. I went to the bathroom and got a cold, wet flannel and put it on his forehead. I sat on the edge of the bed as I tried to soothe him, cool him down and wake him up gently.

'Joe' I whispered 'Wake up, you need to wake up for me.'

The coolness of the flannel woke him a start and the cold water that trickled down his head. He sat up with a start, taking a moment to realise where he was and to remember I was there.

'Y/N?'

'Shhh, you've got a temperature, I'm just trying to cool you down, just relax.'

'Oh god, I'm boiling!' Joe said as he tried to throw off his covers, once again revealing himself in just his boxer briefs again. I tried my hardest to maintain my focus on his face and nowhere else - as distracting as it was.

'You were talking in your sleep, did you know that?'

'No, what did I say?'

'I'd rather not say.' I said as I went to take the flannel off his forehead, my face blushing.

'Y/N, what did I say??' He grabbed my wrist once again, a tighter grip this time, before letting it go.

'You said you loved me and you didn't want me to leave.' I said, looking down at my hands, now in my lap.

'Did I? What would you say if I said it was true?' Joe said, sitting up.

'What?' My head snapped up to look at him

'It's true Y/N, I do love you, I'm IN love with you, I have been for so long, I couldn't bare your rejection if you didn't feel the same way so I never told you.'

I felt my face blush from pink to red and tears form in my eyes. This is what I had wanted to hear for so long.

'Y/N? Please say something.' Joe grabbed at my wrist again, softer this time.

I took a deep breath before slowly looking back at him.

'Joe, you have no idea how long I have wanted to hear you say that. I have been in love with you for so long, but was too scared to tell you.'

'Really?'

I pressed my lips together and nodded as the first of my tears fell, thankfully these were happy tears. Joe moved so he was sitting next to me on the bed and lifted my hand to his mouth and kissed it, before looking deep into my eyes.

'I love you Y/N' he said, his face in a bright smile, that made my heard skip a beat as he brushed back the hair that had fallen across my face.

'I love you too Joe' I said, smiling back at him.

He leaned forward and lightly kissed my lips

'When I'm feeling better, I'm going to give you a proper kiss.' He said, grinning at me, his free hand now resting against my face, rubbing my cheek. 'And take you out on a date.'

'I'd like that.' I said as I bit my bottom lip, grinning back at him.

'Yeah?'

'Yeah.'

I helped Joe take more medication and then get back under the covers before getting under the covers myself, this time happily cuddling up to him, not caring if I got sick too, I was with the man I loved!