Just In Time For Christmas

The 25th of December was fast approaching, and everyone seemed to be in a crazy mode. Deadlines desperate to be met at offices everywhere, including Y/N's. She was currently working at the Boston branch of the company she worked for, and she had to get this last report done before logging off for the end of the day (and the end of the year). Once 5pm hit, she wanted to be out of there, wanted to have her alarm switched off until the 2nd of January, when she was due back at work.

Finally, the report was done, 5pm hit and her break officially started. She still had a few Christmas things to get before she needed to pack for her trip back home to New York and back to her beautiful boyfriend, Joe. She was due to spend Christmas with him there, they wanted to spend the day together, just the two of them, although the threat of heavy snow along the east coast had her anxiety levels up at an all-time high. 

*

Christmas Eve - the 24th Decemeber - the day had come, Y/N was all packed and ready to go home. She made it to Logan airport in plenty of time. She found the gate her flight was to depart from and got out her phone to message Joe - 

'I'm all checked in, ready to go - so far, so good!'

'Can't wait to see you, it's been ages! Only a few more hours to go til we are together!'

'I can't wait either, no offence to Boston, but I wanna go home!'

'I know babe, won't be much longer - me and New York are waiting for you.'

'Oh, they're calling my flight, it's time to board! I'll see you soon!'

'Hope you have a good flight - I love you.'

'I love you, too xxxxx'

*

Everything seemed to be going okay, ticket was checked, seat found, safety talk completed, take off was smooth and they were in the air. The flight only took 90 minutes but seemed to take long - thanks to the anticipation of seeing Joe, plus the weather was turning sour, adding turbulence to the ride. And just as Y/N feared, an announcement came over the cabin, the pilot had advised that due to bad weather approaching New York in the form of heavy snow, they were going to have to divert the flight. Instead of landing at JFK airport, they were to land at Newark. 

This sent Y/N into a panic, Joe was to meet her at JFK and there was no way to tell him about the change of plans until they landed thanks to the stupid rule of phones having to be in airplane mode. The flight soon became one from hell, the diversion that should not have added any time, seemed to have added another hour, then when they finally landed, they sat on the tarmac for another 30 minutes without any reason why before they were allowed to disembark. 

Y/N turned on phone back on as soon as she able to, seeing several missed calls and texts from Joe. She called him straight away, without even looking at or listening to what he'd sent.

'BABE! Where are you? I'm at JFK and your flight isn't showing up on the board, what's happened?'

'The flight got diverted and we're landed at Newark.'

'What the fuck? Goddammit! They made no announcement here. Go find the food court and I'll come and get you.'

'I'm sorry, Joe, this isn't how I wanted Christmas to be.'

'It's not your fault, hun. Just sit in the food court and I'll be there as soon as I can. Weather permitting, it should only take about 45 minutes.'

'Drive safely, please.'

'You know I will, I'll see you real soon. Love you!'

'Love you too.'