Don't Make Me Choose - Part Two

I couldn't tell exactly when we became friends, or when the relationships turned into best friends or even when we all fell in love - both of them with me and me with both of them.

What I could tell you, is that my heart hurt. I knew a decision was looming and that they'd make me choose between them. I would frequently go over in my head how we got into this situation. The rational part of my brain told me who I wanted, my heart was still torn, knowing that one of them would be hurt by my decision.

I knew I couldn't put off the inevitable - I had to tell each one how I felt, I had to tell them my decision. I invited them over for drinks - as a way for me to get some Dutch courage. When I finally got brave enough, I sent them into two separate rooms, with Joe being sent to my bedroom and Joseph to the spare bedroom.

I went to talk to Joseph first - with a sick feeling growing in the pit of my stomach, that had nothing to do with the amount of alcohol I had consumed. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down at his hands as his leg twitched. He looked up at me when he heard me walk in, he had one of his innocent, puppy dog looks, which broke my heart even more.

I took a deep breath and went to sit down beside him.

'Hey!' he said.

'Hey! I said as I took another deep breath.

'What's up?'

I bit my lip as I looked up to and stop the tears that were threatening to fall. I grabbed his hands and took yet another deep breath.

'You know I love you, right?'

'Yeah.........' he said wearily.

'And I know you love me.'

'Yeah'

'The thing is, the love I have for you is more like the love I would have for a brother, not the love I would have for a lover.'

'Oh.......'

'I can't love you the way you want me to.'

Joseph nodded as he looked down, taking in the realisation of what I said and what it means.

'It's Joe isn't it? You're in love with him, aren't you?' He asked looking back at me.

This time it was my turn, I lowered my head as I nodded, the tears now falling.

'I'm sorry....' I whispered as I looked back up at him, the hurt clearly showing on his face.

'Hey, it's okay. You've made your decision and I have to accept that.'

'Thank you.'

'Does he know?'

'No, I'm going to go and tell him now.'

Joseph stood up and pulled me up with him, into a hug.

'I love you, Y/N, and as your best friend, I want nothing but the best for you. If Joe is the one to make you happy, then I won't stand in your way, but if he hurts you in any way, I will kick his ass!!'

I laughed as I gave him a kiss on the cheek and another hug.

'Thank you, I don't know what I'd do without you. Sometimes I think I don't deserve you.'

'You don't but I hang around anyway! Now go, go tell that strange America man you love him!'

I have his hands one last squeeze and left the room, to go and see Joe. He too had been sitting on the bed and stood up as I walked in.

'Is everything alright?'

'It's more than alright!' I smiled then walked up to him and threw my arms around his neck and pulled him into a passionate kiss.

'So, you've made your decision then? Are you sure this is what you want?' He asked as we pulled away.

'I've never been so sure of anything in my life. I love you Joe!'

A huge grin quickly spread across his face.

'I love you too!'

We both smiled and I threw my arms around him again for another kiss.........