Part 25

Todoroki struggled through regulating the temperature of the water, both sides of his quirk straining in the regulation. It would be easier to just go all-out and boil and freeze the liquid, but that's not what Izuku-sensei instructed him to do. He was supposed to be focusing on the nuance with his quirk and getting precision with the temperature control down. Which was actually harder than just making a glacier that encompasses a huge area. Especially when he was using both sides.

It was a good thing he started to use his fire quirk again, because he had a feeling that Izuku-sensei would have made him do this exercise whether he was rejecting his quirk or not. He's not sure what gives him that impression. His teacher has been one of the nicest people that he has ever known, and he didn't seem like the type to be so relentless, but there was this gleam in his eyes that Todoroki caught during the Stain incident.

He was pretty sure Shinso and Ida hadn't caught it since they were both injured at the time, but Izuku-sensei looked like he was willing to kill in that moment. And that makes sense. He was there to protect them, and it was only natural that he would go to such lengths to do so. But... there was this cold, unforgiving edge that sharpened all of his features, casting him in a merciless light. He seemed like he could do anything in that moment.

And Todoroki hadn't seen a hint of it since. He had no other reason that his teacher would be the one to pull him out of the bubbling resentment he had been buried under before. There was just this feeling that he got that told him izuku-sensei could do a whole lot more than they assumed, that he had a stubborn streak in him a mile wide. And there was his caring streak that the students saw everyday. If Izuku-sensei was sure that using his quirk was the best choice for him, there would be no way that he would let Todoroki avoid using it. There would be some way his teacher would find to have him use his quirk.

They had been training for hours on end now, Tiger finally calling a break when the sun hit its highest point in the sky. This time Izuku-sensei and Aizawa went back to the loge and did something there for the remedial class that night while the four Wild, Wild Pussycats stayed with them. They weren't really doing much, just talking amongst the four of them while they all ate lunch. But there had been something that Todoroki had been meaning to ask them.

"Where did you come up with the idea for the individual exercises? They seem really specialized to each student." The four pro heroes froze, three of them looking away towards the trees and the fourth looking at Todoroki with a deer-in-headlights expression. One of them even started to whistle.

"Oh. You know how detailed Izuku-sensei can be. We really just followed his instructions to help you all with his exercises." So Izuku-sensei was the one who had come up with all of this. It did make sense, the analysis teacher would no doubt know exactly what they should be doing to improve their quirks. It was pretty much his job to know a quirks potential and how to achieve that potential.

But Todoroki's conspiracy theory sense was tingling. There was something more that they weren't telling him, and just like he would eventually prove that Shinso was Mr. Aizawa's secret love child, he would get to the bottom of this. All he had to do was ask a few more questions and see how they sweated... Everyone did this, right? This was normal?

"How did he come up with these exercises?" The guy pro hero froze and literally bent so far back using his quirk that Todoroki couldn't see his face anymore. None of the others were answering him, so he would just have to show them that he would ask questions until he got the answers he wanted.

"Well-maybe... maybe you don't necessarily want to know." Todoroki narrowed his eyes. "Trust me, you don't want to know."

Hmmm. he was going to keep pressing, but the four members of the veteran team walked away, probably doing something that Uraraka called a 'social cue'. He thinks that he understands the concept, but he just didn't catch when they were happening or which cue it was. Shinso said it wasn't a problem and that he would be able to function perfectly fine as a hero without them. Then Uraraka said that him and Todoroki were a bit too similar for their own good.