Part 49

Izuku walked alongside Aizawa and Joke, the three of them making their way towards the waiting room for the students who passed. There were still ten slots left, but the last of their class had just finished, and there wasn't as much of a reason to watch anymore. Present Mic was still doing the commentary, and had sufficiently subdued Mera and his attempts to get the microphone back. Given what Mera had tried earlier, Izuku didn't even feel bad for him.

He didn't really have anything against Mera specifically, he was just following orders and trying to get something out of him. The newest in a long line of Commission employees sent after him. It was frustrating to have to deal with their constant attempts to get information out of him, information they weren't in the slightest entitled to. For instance, they would try to casually work into the conversation how he got all of his information in the early days.

Please. Just because they asked politely now doesn't mean he doesn't know why they're asking. The HPSC had been respectful and courteous at first, relying on all of the quirked individuals to help them as they first formed. Then they started to get cocksure and arrogant, and at that point they could stand on their own two feet and they stopped including Izuku and all the others in their decisions. But they still expected him to give up confidential and irrelevant information, for no other reason than they were control freaks that wanted it. He wasn't an idiot.

"Well, Eraser, I guess all of your students survived the Crushing of UA. Might be the first time in years that's happened, especially while they're still first-years." Joke sighed ruefully, taking on a fond expression. "And I see you've only expelled one of them this year. Is Eraserhead finally getting soft? Do you actually like your class for once?"

"Never," Aizawa immediately denies. "As you said, all of them survived the Crushing of UA in their first year. They've got potential, that's all."

Joke lifts a brow skeptically, and Izuku silently watches the show in front of him. "Really? That's pretty cruel, Aizawa, especially considering one of them is your son."

"He's the exception, not the rule." Izuku purses his lips together, stopping the chuckle from escaping. Aizawa had the most indignant expression on his face, clearly offended that Joke would suggest he actually enjoyed teaching his students.

"Righhhttttt," Joke drawls out, nice and disbelieving. In his mind, Izuku remembers why that batch of students had been so fun to teach. Of course he remembers every set of students that walk through his doors, but there was every once in a while that he could tell they were going to do something great. He's just glad he always had the chance to see it.

Though there were always some drawbacks to that too.

They arrived at the large white door where all the students were gathering until the second round started. Joke nodded to them once and blew a kiss to Aizawa before hopping over to where her students that passed had clustered together, clearly congratulating them on their victory. Meanwhile, Izuku and Aizawa trekked over to the portion of the room that all of their students were waiting at.

"Well done!" Izuku beamed at them. "All of you have made it past the first round. Impressive!"

Smiles were tossed back at him from all but a few students. One of the most memorable of which being Bakugo. He was glaring at Izuku with something in his eyes that hadn't been there before, a resentment and silent loathing that Izuku didn't fully understand.

"Thank you, sensei!" Several of the students chorused.

"Do you know when the next part of the exam is going to start?" Kirishima asked Aizawa. "I want to get back out there while all of this manliness is flowing through my veins!"