Part 42

Dabi waited in the dark, sitting dangerously at the top of the store roof. The moon was barely present, only little slivers of its silver light shining through the clouds. It was getting pretty close to midnight, so if the feathered little hero was going to show up, he better do it soon.

In all honesty, he wasn't sure why he extended the invitation for the hero to join the League. Yeah, it was what Shigaraki had told them to do for anyone who had expressed a desire to join, but the number two hero? Really? Hawks was most definitely trying to spy on them and report back to his superiors at the hero commission. There was no doubt about it.

But then there was that cold fire in his eyes when he spoke about the hero commission being part of the problem. That fire spoke to Dabi. Maybe that was what made the villain make that split-second decision. Either way, they were certainly going to use the hero now. Even if he was playing double agent, all they had to do was stay one step ahead of him and they would be fine. Heck, they might even get some information. Even if he was definitely working for the hero commission.

A soft whoosh came from behind him, and Dabi turned to see Hawks. The hero was in his usual attire, jacket and tinted glasses on. His hair was windblown, little blonde strands sticking out everywhere. He was grinning like he did on TV, easy-going and relaxed, like he didn't have a care in the world. But threw as something inthe way his eyes looked around at every dark corner, glancing with razor-sharp precision.

Hawks was not what he appeared to be.

"Hey, hey, Dabi. You look surprised. What are-" Dabi cut him off.

"Shut it, bird brain. I'm just surprised you showed up." Dabi rolled his eyes at the winged hero. "Now shut up and do what I say."

Dabi pulled out his phone, quickly tapping in their coordinates for Kurogiri. Hawks looked curiously over his shoulder, but otherwise followed Dabi's instructions. Good. He was not in the mood to deal with a flying chicken today. All he had to do was meet up with him, probably watch as he talked with their glorious leader, and then either burn him alive or barely have to see him anymore. He didn't really care which.

"So. Are we just going to stand here, or what?"

"Shut up." Dabi was getting the feeling he would be suffering through a headache by the time Kurogiri finally chose to check his messages.

"Fine. Somebody's a little salty." Hawks' voice was lilted and teasing, like he was trying to be friends or some shit.

After what seemed like an eternity, dark purple mist swirled around in front of them. Dabi got the satisfaction of seeing Hawks' strange eyes widen, and he didn't even try to hold back his smirk. "Well, are you coming or what, hero?"

The disorienting sensation of being cloaked in misty darkness washed over him, and the world seemed to spin on its axis. Dabi had gone through it several times by now, but he would never get used to it. In less than a second, they were standing in the dingy bar that was their hideout, with all distinguishing features removed. They wouldn't make it that easy for Hawks, if he did get away.

"Hello, Dabi. It's nice to meet you, Hawks," Kurogiri said, standing next to where Shigaraki was sitting on one of the bar stools. Most of the rest of the League was gathered around, with the exception of Magne, Spinner, and Toga, all of whom had opted out of the meeting. Dabi wished that they would let him do that.

"Hello... I'm going to assume Kurogiri?" Hawks tried, hovering uncomfortably next to Dabi. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Yes, you would be correct. Would you like something to drink before we start discussing things?" Dabi didn't understand how someone who had raised Shigaraki could be so polite. Seriously, how had none of that rubbed off on him?