Part 47

Todoroki stood silent in a sea of noisy hero students, hanging around the fringes of his class. They were all nervously chattering, trying to guess what the exam would include. There had to be at least a thousand people there, all dressed in their hero costumes. Some of them were just ridiculous, looking like his did before he changed it.

That was an interesting time in his life.

"When do you think we're going to start?" Uraraka asked, nervously twisting her hands.

"Aizawa-sensei said it wouldn't be much longer," Yaoyorozu consoled. "I bet it'll begin any second now."

"Do you guys think this is the first part of the test?" Kirishima asked, looking like he just discovered a big secret. "Like, seeing how well we do under the pressure of waiting?"

"Of course it's not the first part of the test, Shitty Hair!" Bakugo barked. "Don't be such an idiot!"

"I think what he meant to say," Sero diplomatically steps in, "is that he doesn't think waiting for thirty minutes is the test to determine if we become heroes."

"Yeah, you're probably right," Kirishima sighs. "It's too much to wish for that this would be the test."

Everyone nodded resolutely. Aizawa-sensei said they would have an hour until the exam about forty five minutes ago, so there were only about fifteen minutes left until they started detailing the exam. However, it felt like it would take days.

He could tell they were some of the youngest students there, not by height or anything like that, but just in how the other aspiring heroes carried themselves. They were more confident, and it looked like they had a strong rapport with their classmates. Not that they didn't, it's just harder to build that kind of relationship with someone in less than a year.

Some of the other students were eyeing them like a cat would eye its target, watching their every movement. But whenever he caught them, they would just hold his gaze until they looked away. It was unsettling.

Turning his attention back to his classmates, he could see a new guy there with them. He had shorter black hair, and was smiling vibrantly at them.

"Hi, I'm Shindo, from Ketsubutsu High School!" Why is he over here? "You guys are from UA, right?" He didn't wait for an answer. "That's cool. I just wanted to let you guys know that there are no hard feelings for what happens in the exam. It'll be an honor to compete with you!"

"Thank you!" Iida said, chopping his hands about erratically. "It will be an honor to compete against you as well! I wish you the best of luck."

"Alrighty, then. Thanks," Shindo laughed, seeming completely relaxed around them, but Todoroki didn't trust it. After all, why would he just randomly choose to come up to them and introduce himself? He might not be the best at social interactions, but he knew enough to know that this was weird.

"Wait, Ketsubutsu?" Uraraka confirmed. "I think we just saw your teacher, Ms. Joke. She... she seems nice."

"Yeah, she's pretty awesome. Why did you end up seeing her?" Shindo frowned. "She didn't say she was going to see UA."

"She was harassing our homeroom teacher," Shinso deadpans, giving Shindo a slightly suspicious look. Glad to see I'm not the only one...

"Harassing your... ohhhh," Todoroki watched as the slow light of realization came over him. "You homeroom teacher is Eraserhead, right? That... that makes sense. She... speaks very highly of him."

Todoroki perked up. "Can you confirm if they're dating or not?"

"They're not dating, Todoroki," Shinso snapped.