Part 59

Hawks was in the League's headquarters for the fifth time that week. He hadn't cut down on any of his heroing hours, but after almost every single patrol he had, he ended up with them. It wasn't like it was planned or anything, just one of Kurogiri's strange attempts of 'bonding'. The information he gave them was usually a weekly report, unless it was something that they needed to get ahold of sooner.

There hadn't been any outright traps the Commission had set for them yet, but as soon as the League's intentions were made clear, he had no doubt that the Commission would rain justice down upon them with a swift and unyielding blade, but right now things were surprisingly sleepy.

From little snippets of conversation he had heard from Shigaraki and Kurogiri, something big was coming. Whispers about a possible deal had just started up, but from the very beginning they had discussed a plan All For One had already set into motion. It was Hawks' job to figure out what it was and stop it in time. If he didn't... well...

He would really prefer the first option.

"C'mon, Toga, why don't you cheer up?" Twice coaxed, waving a vial of... yep, that was blood, under her nose.

"Don't wanna," She mumbled childishly. Shigaraki had sent her on a mission not too long ago and she hadn't come back quite the same. She hadn't really said anything about it except for a few mutters that didn't make much sense to him. Either way, it was very disconcerting to see the usually bright and bubbly blonde be so down. Didn't feel right.

"Kacchan said we weren't friends," She said quietly, her voice just short of desolate. "Why would he say we weren't friends?"

"Because he's an asshole!" Twice shouted. 'I'm sure he didn't mean it," He tacked on after a moment.

"Yes, what Twice said. Er, the second thing," Compress amended from where he was sitting.

Toga sniffled once, but didn't say anything. Hawks felt bad for her, so he said, "Either way, you shouldn't lose any sleep over him. He's either an asshole or an idiot. You don't need to pay attention to him."

Toga lifted her eyes to his face, starting to smile. But it dropped and she mumbled miserably, "But if he hates me, then Izu-chan could hate me too. I don't want Izu-chan to hate me. I want him to love me."

Hawks felt ever-so-uncomfortable. Whoever this 'Izu-chan' was, there was a good chance he was in danger. He had read the report of what had happened to Toga's previous infatuations, and it wasn't painting a pretty picture. As much as he had grown to like this girl, he did have to remember that she was a serial killer and quite possibly mentally unstable.

"Ugh," Shigaraki groaned, throwing down his gaming controller. "It's all 'Izu-chan this' and 'Izu-chan that'. Do you ever just shut up?"

"Do you?" Toga countered with a surly glare. "If you're not gonna help me, then don't chime in."

"Whatever," Shigaraki grumbled. "It was just for a mission. Don't get so worked up over it. People are disgusting creatures that need to be exterminated anyway."

Hawks frowned. Was he trying to be encouraging? I really can't tell. If he is, then I think he needs some more practice.

"Is it between the hours of one and twenty-four hundred again?" Dabi asked from where he sat behind Hawks on the barstool. "Because Shigaraki's being a whiny bitch."

"Fuck you," Shigaraki threw out with a snarl.

"Not interested," Dabi shot back.

Hawks watched with interest as the two squabbled and bickered. Shigaraki had an... interesting place in their criminal organization. While everyone else got along somewhat well, and generally cared about each other, the only one Shigaraki showed even the slightest amount of care to was Kurogiri, and even then it seemed only out of necessity. The only person he'd heard Shigaraki actually show affection to was All For One, the one he called sensei.