Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The room was fairly large, a little too old for my taste but I didn't care. The walls were thick and sturdy, hoping to keep the magic within. The ceiling was high along with two windows separated on the opposite of the bed where droplets of rain slamming against the glass could be heard.

"What are you doing here?" Callan asked while watching the man, Raphael, who bought me here leave after he found me settled.

My lips curled, "I was invited."

"By who?" He rose a suspicious brow at me. It had been over a week since I last saw him, inside my house, tormenting me till the sun fell. There were a few nights I remembered him or rather my hand did at the brim of my pleasure, wondering all that would happen if I were to meet him again.

But I didn't think of that right away.

Brushing away the thoughts, I replied, "The Queen."

Wrinkles formed over his forehead before he wrapped his arms around his chest. His arm muscles bulged, forming a perfect shape of his strength before he stepped forward to me. "And what could she possibly want from you?" He asked and just then I realized it was better if I hadn't mentioned Alexandria to him. "Is she asking you to do black magic for her? Is that why you're here?"

"That is not!" I said quickly while at the edge of being exposed.

She had warned me to not tell anyone about the agreement made in her room and I had to stay on my word.

"It's something else," I tried to think hard and then recalled my tormentor. "My father's family lives close by and there are some things I have to take care of after his death. I couldn't come here earlier as I couldn't leave my mother. I'll just be here for a couple of weeks."

"Mhm," He didn't even try to believe me, but I had to convince him of it.

A weary, sad act appeared over my face as I remembered my father. It had been years since my heart had hardened against him. The only voices I could hear when I remembered him were the screams of my mother as she begged for help.

"A few weeks, is it?" He asked a moment later, now believing me.

I smiled to myself and nodded, "Yes."

"Well, if you do need any help. Let me know. I've an upper hand around here." Callan said, turning around toward the door.

As soon as his back faced mine, I let out a sigh of relief. I wasn't caught—at least not this time. There was one thing I feared coming to court and it was appearing in front of other wolves and night-eaters. My extended lived family in Vergus, along with my father's sister who I despised the most. One word of me and they were all going to come and rip my gloves before labeling me as the witch that killed Marcus Hart.

And they weren't going to stop there.

They were wild werewolves and they were going to come after my poor mother as well.

I came here for a good life, not to end my life. I couldn't take any risks with anyone, even if it was the man I had fingered myself to the past week in need.

"An upper hand?"

He glanced over his shoulder and gave me a nod. His dreamy blue eyes wandered straight into my soul and I looked away before he could read me. Night eaters were far more gifted than any of us creatures. With enough concentration, they could see the worlds inside our heads and our thoughts.

"I've been in court for a hundred years, little witch. There isn't a single petal of rose that falls here without my knowledge." He responded.

I lined my shoulders straight with his as my eyes became a little wide, "A hundred years? I didn't expect you to be that old." And I truly didn't.

"I'm not," Only one corner of his mouth curled. "I'm hundred and thirty."

Fuck.

We went across the hallway and into another wing of the court before he began to walk closer to a door. A few people walked by us but didn't glance at either of us. They were all occupied in their business, just as I hoped them to be.

"And what have you been doing all these years? Do you not get bored of living? Don't tell me you've children and a wife behind this door." I froze opposite of the door while he unlocked it.

A chuckle rolled off his mouth before he opened it and invited me into his chambers which was quite larger and emptier than I expected for it to be. To my good luck, there wasn't a woman waiting for him nor any children.

"I don't like commitment. There's a long life I've to live and I'm not going to live with storing a memory of one girl in my heart when I can store hundreds." He explained, sounding a bit cocky, but I didn't question it. He seemed like one—a fuckboy and a flirt.

"You do know there's no such as immortality..." I trailed off. "It's all magic at the end of the dead, your existence and my existence, both. And there's always a way to break any magic." As I spoke, he became keen and silent.

Just then I remembered the curse Alexandria wanted to break. It could be something along the lines of this. What if she wanted to end everything? But it couldn't be possible at the same time as she enjoyed her time on the throne and loved ruling the underworld.

Callan's eyes captured mine as he reached closer to me, "I didn't bring you here to hear about magic and immortality,"

"Oh," I slammed my lips shut. "But then why did you bring me here?" I asked a moment later when I caught a glimpse of the bedroom behind.

The room was shut, there was no one, only me and him.

He took another step closer before his hand pressed against my hip, "Because I haven't stopped thinking about you since I've left your house, little witch." His eyes moved slightly and my breaths quickened. His lips curled and he placed his hand on my side, trapping me. "While I cannot read your thoughts, I can surely read your face."

"I thought you cannot keep a girl in your heart..." I repeated his words with a hint of taunt in my tone.

"Who said you're in my heart?" He smiled deeper.