Chapter 42

Chapter 42

I heard the snap of his fingers just as I opened the door of the house. Before I could even step out, the door slammed shut and I groaned in frustration.

"Do you really think it's that easy to run away, from me?" He chuckled before raising his finger toward the door and drawing a line around its corner, sealing the entire wall.

The knob of the door came off, falling only an inch away from my feet. I heard a click, the locking of the door by itself and the promise I couldn't go anywhere.

"Fuck you," I groaned in rage and turned to him. "Let me leave."

"Tell me what you know—" He paused for a split second and came near me. Something twinkled in his eyes as his hands reached for me. "Or I can find it out myself." The color of his eyes shifted as he whispered something under his breath.

My heart beat even faster, knowing well he was going to get into my head, into my memories, and watch them all till he had gotten his answers. I couldn't let that happen.

No fucking way.

With the remaining strength buried in me, I pushed him back, but he grabbed my arms, holding them before the spell began running through my veins.

No.

No.

No.

"Get your fucking hands off me!" I screamed while raking my nails across his arms, leaving scratches deep enough that his arm was going to ache for days.

Elijah's grip on my arms only tightened more as he tried to hold me still. I had to act fast if I wanted to protect my memories and thoughts from him. His chest neared mine, eyes piercing deep into me as he remained quiet and slipped into my mind as I withered in his hold and tried to squirm away.

"Ah, let's see—" he trailed off. "Your rage is definitely a problem. Killing your own father? For wha—"

Before he had the chance to see anything else, I kicked him in the shin and twisted my body, trying to break free from his grasp. He groaned in pain while snapping back to reality and stumbled back, but his one hand remained wrapped around my arm.

He regained balance quickly and lunged at me.

"Let me go." I screamed at the top of my lung while digging my nails deeper into his arm. It didn't make a difference.

Nothing was making a difference.

"In your dreams."

I pulled my free hand away from his arm and ran my nails across his throat which gave me a minute to escape from his stiff hold. As soon as his hand loosened, I fled, running quickly on my feet. But with the doors locked, I couldn't make it anywhere far, just left and right inside the dark house.

He walked slowly behind me, knowing well I couldn't go anywhere.

Fuck me.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as I searched for a way out, but every door and window was locked. Elijah began to close in on me, his footsteps growing louder with every passing second.

My eyes dashed left and right as I stopped in the middle of an empty hallway. I stopped a vase on a nearby table and grabbed it before turning to face him as he approached me.

"Stay back," I warned, holding the case in front of me like a weapon.

He laughed, a cold and cruel sound that sent shivers down my spine. "You really think that's going to stop me?" He said as he continued to advance.

I didn't hesitate. I acted on instinct, throwing the vase at him with all my strength. It smashed against his head, shattering into pieces but even then, he didn't stumble back.

"What kind of fucking monster are you?" I screamed, tears streaming down my face.

"A monster who'll do anything to live," He cruelly moved toward me with his blood dripping from the side of his head. "I'm not going to let you, a foolish young girl, bring me my ruin nor am I going to let anyone else."

His hand wrapped around my face as he pulled me closer.

"Looks like it has been a long night for you."

A smile slid across his lips as he reached in, closer to my ear, and whispered something.

I faded quickly, dropping unconscious.

The smell of burning cigar and smoke raveling over my face awakened me from the deep sleep. My eyes widened and my head snapped to the right. I found myself on the same dusty, velvet sofa with a thick woven blanket draped over me.

Rays of sunlight cascaded into the room and smoke lingered in the air. Elijah sat near, blowing out the smoke and filling the room with the sickening smell of it.

"Hopefully you've your rage controlled now." He turned his attention to me as my feet fell on the soft carpet beneath.

I blew out a breath as I realized I was still here. He spelled me into a deep sleep. I had been unconscious for hours and hours, yet I still woke up alive.

It was truly a surprise.

The sleep had eased my anger and the pain in my head had almost gone. Last night had been terribly long and I needed the rest more than anything else.

"Want some?" He offered his burnt cigar.

"I'd rather die." I sniffed the air and coughed as the smoke filled up my lungs.

The golden light from the rising sun fell straight over my tangled hair and shoulders. I looked around, the door was still locked and so were the windows. Still nowhere out. But I didn't need to escape anymore.

My gaze landed on Elijah. The blood on the corner of his head had dried out along with the blood on his neck where I raked my nails across.

I pursed my lips and then parted them before meeting his eyes. Determination still filled his glare. He was going to get the information out of me in one way or the other.

"If you promise me protection, I'll tell you everything I know about the curse and your mother," I said, breaking my silence after a night of nothing. "Because that is what she offered me. And I need it."

He quickly placed the cigar over the ashtray and killed it out. Thin smoke continued to linger in the air before disappearing, but the smell stayed and it sickened me.

"What do you need protection from?" He asked, folding his arms over his chest and leaning back.

His legs spread as he waited for my answer.

"For starters, from Alexandria herself. She's going to kill me if I don't complete the task for her," I began to raise my fingers. "From Callan and Dion, they both are going to kill me as well," Another finger. "And from my father's family because, well, I killed him and I can't trust his sister since she knows I killed him."

She's getting smarter. But let's see if Elijah is going to take her up to her demands.

Read the full book on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions