Chapter 32

Chapter 32

An owl hooted from a distance and it told me we were back in court. The skies had turned dark with thick clouds hovering outside. Dion took me straight to Claudia Hart who had demanded those men to bring me to her.

I didn't know what her deal was. And I didn't even know who she was.

I believed I had never heard her name being mentioned by my father, but then again we were never close. Maybe if I saw her, I could recognise her from the family photos my father forced us to put everywhere in his house.

"The infamous daughter of my little brother Marcus," She said, a grin spreading over her face. Brother? Her face clicked in my mind instantly but her name still didn't come to me. "We have been waiting for a very long time."

She approached me, her demeanour threatening.

I swallowed hard, fear coursing through my veins. What did she want from me?

Dion stepped forward, again, covering me and I stepped back at the same time.

"Waiting for what?" He asked, his tone demanding and possessive at the same time. It made me feel even more guilty for taking his name. He had done nothing but be helpful.

Claudia lined her lips straight and a scowl fell on her face. "There had been rumours that she and her filthy mother murdered my brother in cold blood."

My eyes widened in surprise. How could they know?

"It's nothing like that." I said, stepping forward and defending my mother. It angered me anyone even mentioned her name with my father.

Their marriage was nothing but a mistake, an awful mistake.

"Are you telling me otherwise?" Her hands folded across her chest and she cocked a brow at me.

"You don't know anything."

"Enlighten me."

"Your brother was a fucked up man and you've no idea how much he hurt my mother—"

"So that's why you two planned and killed him?" She cut me and asked, enraging me further.

My head boiled and my blood burned.

I hadn't been confronted with his death before as everyone believed it was an accident and nothing else. It destroyed me to think of him as a victim rather than an abuser.

"Marcus Hart was a madman!" I exclaimed, my jaw clenched tight. "And I would kill him every time if I had the chance to, every night and every day. He deserved it, he deserved every inch of pain I gave to him." The words left my throat itself. I didn't even consider it once what I was saying or the danger I was putting myself into.

The Hart's were powerful and strong in this world and my father proved that point every day till the day he died.

Shock fell over Claudia's face. I heard her gasp at the revelation and then watched as rage spread over her face. Her eyes darkened and she stomped forward while her sharp claws extended from her fingernails.

I didn't feel guilty for killing my father and I was never going to.

"You killed my brother, you ratchet witch!" She exclaimed, raising her hands.

Dion grabbed my arm and pulled me behind him, guarding me, "You're not going to touch her."

Claudia snarled and took a step back, her claws retracting. She looked at Dion with a mixture of anger and disbelief. He was an Alpha, and she was—I wasn't sure. "Don't put yourself into something you don't need to, Dion. This is a family matter and I believe you should be walking away right now."