Chapter 52

Chapter 52

Silence crept from either side of the house. The door behind slammed shut, letting no one else leave. I turned around and found Elijah standing near to the stairs, listening to everything he could. A grin widened on his face and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, what do you want me to do?" I asked, nearing him.

The quickest way out of here was to break the curse before King Stephan's hundredth death anniversary and make sure none of them were killed. I didn't know how long that would take, but I was prepared to do whatever I had to do.

I didn't care. I wanted to be out of here.

"I don't know. Why don't you tell me?" He folded his arms over his chest and questioned me instead. "You know everything, don't you?"

"Don't be cocky. I'm saving your life, not mines. I can run and I can keep running for the rest of my life, but at least I'll be alive unless like you." My mouth turned into a frown.

A quiet chuckle escaped his mouth before he moved away from the wall he had been leaning on.

"Fine. Tell me where you get your magic." He repeated, asking the same thing for the hundredth time. At this point, I had been tired of answering him about my unknown magic.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I told you, it comes to me when it has to and I use it. That's all I know about it. Why don't you tell me? You're such a powerful man in the world of magic. You must have some knowledge about it, don't you?" I cocked a brow at him, watching as tension filled his face as I turned the question over to him.

He surely knew something.

"If what I'm thinking is right, you're going to be in a lot more trouble than you think you are in already." He said, walking away.

I watched him closely while pressing the inside of my chin between my teeth. He walked over to the thin wooden table behind the couches and poured a drink for him before reaching for the glass. I blew out an exhausted breath and stomped my feet over to him.

"What is it?" My tone was now demanding.

If I could get any clue of where my magic came from, I was desperate to know.

"What do I get if I tell you?" The grin returned to his face.

"Nothing at all," My lips thinned. "Tell me what it is." I reached closer till there was barely any distance between us, just enough for the air to pass through.

Elijah appeared handsome under the dim lights, but only if he was a dickhead that I could see more than that. He had dark hair, shuffled all over his head, and gray eyes that showed my reflection when I looked into them.

Before heat began to course through me, I shifted my thoughts to the cruel witch he was rather than the beauty he held on the outside. His heart was black, blacker than mine. He was the beautiful face of evil.

"You have spirit magic within you. The spirits of dead witches and sorcerers help you when you need them to. You get knowledge from them which leads to the magic you do on others," He paused for a second and took a gulp of the drink. The corners of his mouth stretched into a smile and he rose his glass. "If I'm right, my mother's need for you just doesn't end when you find the four of us, but she also needs you to break the curse."

"What do you mean? I don't have that power to break a curse your dead grandfather put on her." I reminded him. No matter what, I couldn't ever even come closer to the powers and the magic the Sven family held.

Not even Elijah's magic.

He could kill me in a moment, and my magic would barely stop it.

"The pentacle corresponds to the five elements of life, not four. Water, fire, earth, air, and spirit. The spirits are with you. She has to kill all five of us to break the curse—"

I interrupted him with my racing thoughts. "But I'm not a hundred years old and I wasn't even present when your grandfather placed the curse."

"It doesn't matter. You're the spirit, and my mother's going to kill you either way." He grinned, feeling proud of himself.

My lips parted in surprise and I stepped back while my hand headed to my chest where my racing heartbeat remained. Even when I didn't want to believe any of Elijah's words, I couldn't help but realize that there was some truth in them. If the spirits helped me, I was the fifth element of the pentacle and I was in the equation.

I was going to get killed.

"But I don't even have a mark!" I exclaimed.

"You might just get one."

"You're just scaring me." I rolled my eyes after a moment and turned away from him. He grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Do you really think I'm?" He asked softly and with concern in his voice. "I didn't think so either. My mother's up to something and it isn't going to end well for any of us."

I sighed and my eyes flickered away from him. How much more careful could I do? Not once Alexandria told me about the fact that I was going to be involved in breaking the curse, that I would've to die with them.

I pulled my arm away from his hold and grabbed his drink at the same time. "Why don't you confront her? And stop her? She's your mother after all. It wouldn't be hard to talk her out of it."

He chuckled lightly and poured himself another drink. His back became composed. I sipped on the drink wrapped around my fingers. It was whiskey, bitter to taste, but it didn't burn down my throat.

"She would gladly kill me to retrieve the powers taken from her. She'd give anything to become powerful and remain on the throne, and she wouldn't care if I was among the marked ones." There was a hint if despair in his tone that he tried to cover up as much as he could, but I could still hear it.

"But at the mating ball, you greeted her and she appeared happy."

"That's all just obligations. I returned after decades, she would appear happy but if she got a hindsight that I'm one of the marked ones, she'd do everything in power to ensure the curse does get broken." His eyes narrowed as he drank.

I swallowed hard, stiffening at his words. How could a mother be so cruel? Elijah was the only child of the queen. She didn't have any more.

"She told me something about my magic as well," It didn't take me to recall her words. "She told me it was different and that it came from rage which is why she wanted me to find the four of you."

"It could be," He nodded in agreement. "There are other ways to practice as well, ways that don't require spirits help."

I grew curious. "Teach me."

Read the full book Patreon, or on my Inkitt Subscription.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions