Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Vivian

He pinched my chin using his thumb and raised my head. His thick brown hair hung over his head, some of it falling over his shoulders. His skin was tanned, but his eyes were dark gray with evil brimming within them. Such evil I hadn't seen before. My eyes trailed across his arms. He wore a long sleeve shirt, but that still couldn't cover the blackness that ran through his veins.

His body ought to be covered in tattoos to cover the hideous dark magic that he carried in his veins. The veins on his neck, pulsating were pumping blood that had been filled with nothing but sorcery.

Such great evil...

"I just don't understand one thing," he trailed off while leaning in closer. His eyes were wide, angled from the corner and his jaw was sharp, perfect in some ways. "How could you have possibly, in the right mind, spelled me? Did you really think it would've worked as it worked on Callan and Dion?"

I cracked a smile at him. "It did work since you're here."

I meant—what else could this mean? He was here.

His mouth lined straight at my response and he leaned back but continued to trap me between himself and the wall behind. He inhaled deeply and changed the conversation. "You reek."

"Thank you." I made it past him and he grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop before I went any further.

"Since you're going to stay here for a while, why don't you go take a shower rather than infusing your scent all over this place?"

"It doesn't smell floral either," I rolled my eyes at him and pushed his hand away from my arm. "Where's the washroom?" I asked a moment later.

My skin was itching. I needed to clean myself and all the dry blood over me. The wounds on me had healed as quickly as they came. I followed the giant as he led me upstairs and across the old, torn hallway. The house looked like it had been abandoned and then haunted by some terrible ghosts. There was dust everywhere along with spiders crawling over every inch of the house.

Though, it smelled like nothing. There was nothing in the air.

The silence stretched between us as we entered a locked room. He pulled out a chain of keys that dangled in the air as he unlocked the room. I walked behind him and entered the bedroom. It seemed like it hadn't slept in years and years, but the room was the only place where it had been kept clean.

I swallowed hard and stepped into the washroom.

My gaze dropped and I sighed. This was my only option. I turned around and found Elijah only inches away from my back, waiting for me to undress in front of him and shower.

My brow rose. "Get out."

"As you say so." He slipped back and then left the room.

I sighed in relief at his presence gone. It was killing me, destroying every cell in my body and forcing me to snap after every second. Once he was gone, I managed a few breaths before turning on the water and letting it flow. In the meantime, I stripped out of the cami and tossed it on the side as it had been covered with blood and dirt.

My hair fell over my shoulders and I combed it through using my fingers. The tangles only worsened. I needed a comb, a brush—anything.

The water grew warm in a span of a few seconds and I quickly slipped underneath the shower, waiting to get rid of the dirt. My fingers ran through my hair again. I closed my eyes tight and was enveloped in the silence that eased my nerves and my muscles. After everything that happened, I needed a minute.