Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"I'm sorry, Mom. But I hope you've a great start next week. I'll really miss you," I said, on the phone while my head was pressed to the side of the stone stairs that led out from the court. "And I'll try my best to be back soon."

"It's alright, Viv. Don't worry about me." She reassured for the second time on the call.

I had to inform her that I wouldn't be able to come back any time soon. With everything going, Alexandria's threats, the mating ball and the timeline I had to find the other two, I wouldn't be able to leave from here until the years end. It was heart wrenching, but I didn't have an option.

I couldn't run.

After ending the call with Mom, I sat on the cold stairs, staring at the garden ahead. From a distance, I could hear the hoots of owls and howls of wolves along with insects lingering in the air. Just a few miles away was the castle where the mating ball was going to be hosted two nights later.

I had no other option but to go. Callan was very persistent. He desired to rip the dress he'd get for me off my body and have me during the night.

It was good. I needed to feel his hands on my body and his heat burying inside me. A change of mind. I smiled to my self and shook my head slightly.

My eyes narrowed as I heard footsteps from behind. There were many men and women who went down the stairs and left the court in the past twenty minutes I had been sitting here. I didn't want to go into my room as I feared for the nightmares to return and I didn't want to linger in court and come in front of Claudia or Eileen, or any other women who thought of me as a weak whore passing time here.

I didn't even know who I was anymore.

A fraud? A liar?

If the truth came out, not even Callan would like it.

As I slipped into the evening gown Callan had gotten for me, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement wash over me. The fabric was a shimmering shade of blue fading to silver. The bodice was fitted, with delicate lace straps that sat daintily on my shoulders. The bottom folded out into a full circle, cascading down to the floor in a riot of gleaming fabric.

It was simply beautiful.

My hair sat over my shoulders, slightly wavy with a few strands pinned back, behind my ears. I managed to cover the scars on my face with heavy concealer before applying a bit of gloss over my lips.

The mating ball was a dazzling display of extravagance and elegance. It was far better than the first masquerade ball Alexandria had thrown at the beginning of the month. The grand ballroom of the castle on her estate was transformed into a fairy tale wonderland, with sparkling chandeliers casting a soft glow over the room. Colorful floral arrangements adorned every surface, filling the air with the sweet scent of roses and jasmine.

Everyone was tailored in perfect fabrics just as the last time, but this time, their faces were uncovered.

The live orchestra played a lively tune, and the guests moved with effortless grace across the gleaming marble floor. I stood on the sidelines, watching as the couples twirled and danced, their feet gliding across the floor as if they were floating on air.

I wondered where Callan was. After all, he was the one who wanted me here. I didn't suspect him to be entertaining another woman, but rather late.

My eyes scurried around, searching for Callan but stopped as an unknown man approached me. He offered me a smile, his eyes gleaming with warmth before he gave me a card. A card? What for? I took the card from his hand and smiled back at him. He went on his way after.