Chapter 56

Chapter 56

"I don't care, Vivian. I don't want to mark anyone else—"

"But if you want to, in the future?" I asked, looking up at him and stepping back at the same time. It was too much, especially for a werewolf. Marking and mates didn't matter to a witch like me, but for him, it did.

Their bloodlines were formed from finding mates and marking them. The survival of their pack's depended on their leader and his mate. Their worlds evolved around it and I couldn't force Dion to mark me simply like that, without even knowing where I came from.

"I don't want to. I have lived for long, I've marked countless, and I've had countless. Let me mark you." He offered while wrapping his hands around mine.

My chest became warm at his words. But at the same time, I recalled my cruel father and the werewolf he was. His existence made me want to hate them for the rest of my life, but now, after hearing Dion, my perspective was changing.

I sighed, feeling torn. Part of me wanted what he was offering me, but I felt guilty for what all I did to him. I took his name in minutes in front of Alexandria and he had bought no harm to me, even after knowing the truth.

"Take his mark. Linking yourself with an alpha will provide you protection far more than you can imagine." Elijah spoke, standing a distance and only peering at us.

I turned to face Elijah, surprised by his sudden remark since he had been wanting to harm me the entire time I had been here. "What do you mean?"

His eyes locked with mine. "Werewolf packs are known for their strength and loyalty to their leader. By taking Dion's mark, you'll be under his protection and that of his entire pack. They'll protect you from anything that tries to harm you."

I considered his words carefully. It was true that I could use some protection, especially now, especially with Claudia running around and trying to avenge her cruel, abusive brother.

I looked into his eyes, seeing the sincerity and conviction there. I knew Dion meant every word he said. And at that moment alone, I made my decision to take a werewolf's mark.

"I'll do it." I said, nodding.

His face broke out into a wide smile and he leaned closer before slipping his hand behind my neck. "I promise you'll be safe with me."

"I know."

Taking the stairs, we headed up into one of the rooms. Dion closed the door behind us, and I felt a wave of nervousness wash over me. I knew what was about to happen, but it still felt surreal.

He approached me slowly, his eyes dark with desire. My heart thudded at an erratic beat. I wasn't even this nervous when I slept with him, or when I slept with a man for the first time. Marking was sacred, along with mating. He was tying his life to me, and I was tying mine to his.

"Are you sure you want to do to this?" He asked, confirming again as his hands went over my shoulders.

I could feel the heat emanating from his body as he leaned in closer. Tingles shot through my spine. It was a decision that could change my life forever.

"Yes," I whispered while placing my hand over his arm and tracing it to his chest. "I want you to mark me."

His breath tickled down the side of my cheek as his hands slowly made their way from my neck to my face, cupping it gently before leaning in to kiss me. The kiss was soft and gentle at first, but it quickly turned into something deeper, more passionate. Electricity ran between us, and uncontrollable heat gripped from all sides.