Chapter 59

Chapter 59

As we entered the mountains, the scenery changed, and we were greeted by jagged peaks, dense forests and misty valleys. We drove along a narrow road that snaked through the mountains, and the temperature dropped as we gained altitude. Soon we were enveloped in a blanket of fog, and visibility dropped to a few feet.

I tried to look outside, but I barely made out anything.

Elijah drove cautiously, not knowing what dangers lay ahead while Dion gave him the directions of where he needed to go to. The sun was still up, but it was setting in a quick pace. In matter of another hour, or two, it was going to get dark.

A shiver ran down my spine as we entered a tunnel carved out of the mountain. The walls were covered in symbols and runes, and the air was charged with magic—dark magic, one I could feel in my veins.

I looked ahead until my attention diverted to Elijah. My gaze lowered to his big hand that was wrapped around the steering wheel, clenched tight. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbow, exposing all of the tattoos he had on his arm. I stared for long before snapping out of it.

What was I even thinking?

My thoughts had turned lewd and sinful in matter of seconds, and it was the worst feeling ever.

I shifted over the seat and removed any images of his hand around my neck, stifling my breaths as—

"Be careful after the tunnel, and be ready for anything. No one truly attacks unless they are threatened but still, be careful." Dion broke the silence and warned Elijah who glanced up at me through the rearview mirror.

I again looked away.

The tunnel eventually ended, and we emerged into a clearing. The mist had lifted, and we were now surrounded by tall trees and rocky peaks. The sky was painted in shades of red and orange, with the sun dipping below the horizon. The air was crisp and cold, and I could see my breath in front of me.

This entire drive we hadn't seen or encountered with anyone yet. There was truly no one in sight. Which meant they had to be found.

"We can camp the night and look for the witches early in the morning. It would be far safer to look for them in daylight rather than the night." Dion suggested.

"Not if we find someone before the sun disappears." Elijah continued driving on the rocky roads, stern on finding a witch and getting over with all of this.

I inhaled deeply and glanced outside from the windows. It was a beautiful yet a terrifying sight. There was true terror brewing in the mountains and I only felt it now. I steadied my breaths and kept my mind open, welcoming any spirits that wanted to reach me.

An unusual feeling spread through my body before I felt slight pain going through my abdomen. I sat back and swallowed hard.

"I think we should camp for the night." I said in the silence.

"Too scared now?"

"No," I rolled my eyes. "But it would be better if we did. You only told me there were dangerous creatures in these mountains. I wouldn't want any of them to kill you. After all, you're the queen's son." My smile broadened.

His mouth turned into a frown. "Using my own words on me. Nice," He took a sharp turn to the left and continued driving. "Don't worry about me. I'm far more stronger than any of you here. I can make the ground beneath tremble if I want to."

"Show off."

"Jealous," He rolled down the window from his side of the car. "It smells like someone's burning in here."

I scoffed and folded my arms across my chest. "Only you."

They both shared a glance before chuckling. Their laughters died down a moment later when we reached the clearing where we intended to camp for the night.

The skies changed color as Elijah parked the car, and we stepped out into the chilly air. Dion immediately got to work, setting up a fire pit while I sat over a rock, scanning the darkness around us for any signs of danger. Only I was on the edge after I had dragged them here.

We didn't set up the tents as we waited for the night to arrive. Neither of us were in the right mind to sleep and there were still plenty of hours left before it got entirely dark.

"Want some?" Elijah offered me a warm cup of tea.

"I'd rather choke on a rock and die than drink anything you give me."

He sat down and poured some alcohol into his tea before taking sips of it. I waited to Dion to return from his run. He shifted and went around to check if there was any danger lurking in the shadow.

"I still haven't done anything to you, yet," Elijah said. "While you've tried to do so many things to me."

"I didn't try to kill you—which you did."

"I wasn't going to kill you," He laughed it off. "Only psychical harm."

My eyes squinted, "It's the same thing. I'm not going to trust someone who's an off-spring of Alexandria no matter how nice you try to be with me. You're only here because you don't want to die in the curse and you'd willingly let the rest of us die if it meant you were left alive."

"You were going to kill the four of us. Do you really think you're any better, Vivian?"

I opened my mouth to respond to him but instead, I heard Dion behind, shifting into his human form. My head turned and I watched him as he pulled up his shorts and approached the fire that was formed between us.

"The surroundings are clear. There's a wolf pack a couple miles from here, but they won't threaten us. I've spoken to them and I also asked them about any witch covens around here. They mentioned one," It took him a moment to remember it. "It's a tricky name. Something like Maleficaru—"

"Maleficarum Umbrae," Elijah finished and his face grew serious. "It's a coven that uses shadow magic, another form of dark magic."

"Yes, they told me about them. They aren't settled too far. We could go—"

"Yes."

"No," Elijah shook his head. "You don't know them."

"And you do?" I cocked a brow at him.

"I've been traveling since the past thirty years, I know everything," He reminded me. "We are not going anywhere tonight."

"It's better if we go tonight. We don't have to spend the whole night here then and we can easily go back once we have spoken to them." I rushed up to my feet while he remained seated on the ground.

"And what if they don't know anything about the curse?"

"What if they do?" I asked him in return before extending my hand out to him."Let's go." 

Read ahead of Inkitt or Patreon and get access to other books and steamy one-shots. Inkitt: www.inkitt.com/miakerr www.patreon.com/miakerr