Chapter 21

I gave the bitter drink another shake before pressing the glass against my swollen lips and drinking it. It was a herbal drink—to avoid pregnancy. I shivered at the taste and slammed the glass back on the table after finishing it. When I moved from the table, my insides ached like Callan had promised they would.

I wasn't limping, not entirely. But my pussy was sore and every small movement was bothering me.

My attention diverted as I heard a knock on the door. Glancing over my shoulder, I wondered who was there and especially at this time. It couldn't be Callan as he didn't leave his room until it got dark.

It was eleven in the morning.

"Raphael!" I exclaimed at his sudden presence.

"I hope you had a good night," he said, taking me somewhere else. When I rose a brow at his remark, he continued, "I'm sent here by the Queen to keep my eyes on you. And well, last night, it was rather—explicit. I had to inform the Queen about your extra activities in court, especially since it was with one of the men she wants."

"What?" My eyes widened. "So, I can't do anything? And why are you stalking me?" Rage ran through my veins and I folded my arms over my chest at his words.

"I'm afraid that's a question for the Queen. She has sent a car for you. It's waiting downstairs." Raphael said, his eyes narrowed before he stepped away from the door, hoping I would rush out and fall onto Alexandria's feet.

I breathed out heavily and said, "I'll have to change."

"Take your time, Ms—"

I slammed the door shut and back into my room. My hand went straight at my head and I groaned. Why couldn't he just keep his mouth shut? I didn't need Alexandria to know I was sleeping with one of the marked men she desperately wanted. It was only going to cause more trouble.

But I couldn't do anything now.

She already knew.

I twisted my finger around my hair while tapping my feet at the same time as the driver took me toward Alexandria's estate which was only five minute away from the court. My thoughts raced. I tried to come up with some reasoning to why I let Callan pound me, but there was nothing except for lust.

She could kill me.

Literally.

When the car dropped me off to the entrance of her estate, one of her servants approached me and guided me inside the house before taking me straight into her chambers. Every time I was here, there was fear in my heart.

"I hope you weren't disturbed." She said, a stiff smile on her face as she reached for her tea which smelled strong, far stronger than what I had this morning.

I sat on the same seat as before and gave my head a light shake, "I've been awake since a couple of hours."

"I see..." she took a sip of her tea and then licked her lips. There was more radiance on her face today and with the sun glimmering inside the room, she looked a lot younger and better. "Raphael managed to inform me about you and what happened yesterday."

Here it came.

My fingers curled around the hem of jacket and I sighed, "It was just a moment of weakness—"

"I'm not talking about your night, Vivian." She cut me off before I even began to lie. Wrinkles creased over my forehead. I waited for her to continue. If this wasn't about Callan, then what was it about? "It's about the witches in court."

"Oh..." I trailed off while feeling a bit relieved at the fact I wasn't going to be punished for sleeping with Callan and making my bed with him, even if it was for one night—which I doubt it would be.

Every inch of my body craved for more of him. My insides, swollen and ruined, were still throbbing for him even when only hours had passed by.

"Raphael told me about the situation you were in yesterday morning. The witches at court, most of them, aren't friendly as you think. I've only let them stay there for one purpose and that is to put up a facade. You cannot risk talking to any of them or mentioning the work I've given you to do. And you cannot risk letting them see you do black magic." She explained to me with a hint of fear at the back of her tone. I wondered what that was about.

"I don't. I do it in my room." I clarified.

"I've given you the room as it has thicker walls than any other rooms in the court. But even then, you've to be careful of what you speak when in court."

I nodded, "I haven't told anyone."

"Good."

My shoulders slumped forward. The relief lasted for longer than I expected it to be. The way Raphael approached me a few moments ago made me certain I was going to be hung to my death today itself.

A knock landed on the door and when the Queen allowed the servant in, she came with an envelope in her hand. I watched as she read the contents inside the envelope before placing it on the side. Her expression was now even more worried as she lifted her eyes to meet with mine.

"Your other activities are unfazed to me. But if you're distracted by these men, I'll have to action. Until then, you're free to do as you wish," She quickly said, and I listened to her. "Keep your distance from the witches and don't mention anything to anyone. I'll send Raphael somewhere next week and hopefully, you'll have a few names by then."

She was desperate.

The Queen of the underworld was desperate for this. But why? I had to get to know about the curse more before giving Dion's name to her. What if I going to risk their lives? What if I was going to drag them to their deaths?

I hope not.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr