Chapter 1: The Day Things Changed

A/N: heyyy, so this is my first actual fanfiction and I am super nervous with how this is going to turn out. I have a million ideas for stories for both BNHA as well as some other fandoms, so I decided to start with one of my favorites that I read a lot of: Vigilante Deku. I don't want to ramble, but I love this AU, so I decided to make my own! A lot of small ideas are from other fanfiction's I have read, but I tried to put my own spin on how I wanted this to go down.

~ ~ ~

This night was the same as most others, a few muggings, a drunk dude here or there, and a few sexual assault cases for him to stop. Rabbit crouched, perched on the edge of a 6-story building, looking over the city. His patrol was almost over, and Rabbit just wanted to get to his job and grab a coffee.

Of course, he never gets what he wants.

His sensitive ears pick up a distinct sound of screaming, and his legs shot him off in the direction of the sound. Years of saving people most every night allowed him to develop a keen ear and fast reflexes. Reaching the scene, he peeked over the edge of the building. Below, Rabbit saw two girls, around high school in age, cowering under 3 intimidating men.

The smallest of the three had an obvious quirk, two medium wings stuck out through his shirt, black with thin gray webbing that matched his scruffy hair. 'Probably a bat related quirk' Rabbit mused. The second of the three had no obvious quirk, just dark brown spiky hair and caramel eyes, plain as can be, so the vigilante would need to figure that one out as they fought. The last man, who was obviously the leader in this situation, was smiling and ranting out about how much money they could get by selling the terrified girls off while his lackeys started to tie them up. As one of the girls let out another wail in fear, the man turned his arm into some kind of sword threateningly, quieting her.

Rabbit had seen enough to plan his easy win. He landed in the shadows behind the group silently, no one noticing his presence. The second lackey was trouble since his quirk was an emitter type that Rabbit didn't know of yet and the leader would be hard to fight while having backup, so he would have to take out the bat guy before facing him. Smirking, Rabbit rushed forward, pushing the plain lackeys' pressure points immediately to make him drop.

"Mind if I step in?" Rabbit taunted, voice distorted and electronic. Their shock quickly turned to anger and the bat dude lunged at Rabbit while the leader moved to grab the girls. 'Wow, not even going to help your friend that I knocked out.'

The fight ended as soon as it had started. Leathery bat wings sliced towards Rabbit, aiming right for his temple. Had the hit landed, he would have been stunned with a splitting headache, but to Rabbit, the move was way too predictable. He caught the wing with both hand and managed to flip the criminal over his shoulder and into the ground with a loud crack. With the lackey in a daze, and probably with a concussion, Rabbit turned to the leader who was about to pick up the terrified girls.

"You know, you should have just run. Not that it'll make a difference." Rabbit shrugged as the man whipped around to face the vigilante. Sneering, the man rushed at him, both arms shifted into sharp spikes. The criminal began to stab and slice haphazardly while Rabbit lazily dodged. Sure he could have fun playing with the man, but he was tired and wanted to free the victims as soon as he could.

After a few seconds, Rabbit ducked and shot the palm of his hand straight into the guy's jaw. With a startled grunt, he fell backwards, right on top of the now passed out bat-guy. Rabbit rushed over to the girls who were looking at him with wide and hopeful eyes. With a flick of his wrist, a knife appeared in his hand as be began to cut the ropes. "Call the police", he told them softly.

Once the rope was off, the two began to thank him profusely for his help, pausing only to call the police as he told them to. He simply nodded and moved to zip tie the criminal's wrists. Satisfied that the girls would be fine, he scaled a building and headed home to change before work.